Condensate line from air handler not dripping

Old 06-24-20, 02:13 PM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Condensate line from air handler not dripping

I'm in central AZ, currently the dry season. I've been running the ac around 9-10 hours a day. Feels plenty cold, and I'm not seeing any water damage on the ceiling where the air handler sits. My condensate drain pipe doesn't appear to be dripping any condensate from what i can tell, the ground is very dry and hard where the condensate would drip out. poured water through the drainage line through the access port by the air handler, and it's draining just fine, so signs of a clog in the piping.

So my question is, am I not getting any condensate because its primarily just hot and dry right now? or is it because there might be a problem within the air handler?

Old 06-24-20, 06:34 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,707 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
Many condensers have an alternate drain in case the primary one is clogged. I would check it or go up in the attic and check the pan for water. A few minutes in a hot attic is much cheaper than water damage. But, even here in NC there are days when my AC's produce very little or no water.

joecaption voted this post useful.
Old 06-24-20, 05:04 PM
D
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Do you watch the news? The humidity is really low right now in Arizona. I live in Tucson.
A/C's cool air and as a BY PRODUCT they remove humidity. Wait until the Monsoons hit and you will have a steady stream of water.

Old 06-24-20, 06:46 PM
J
Received 125 Upvotes on 110 Posts
I'm with Pilot on this one.
In my area it's code to install a switch that shuts off the unit if the pan is full, that one thing can save you a whole lot of money in repairs.
In most cases this is a simple DIY fix if the drains plugged up.

Old 06-29-20, 10:01 AM
D
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The same is true in Arizona if your ac is in the attic, It must have a pan to catch any over flow. The installers only use one down pipe they connect both drains together. So all of the water comes out at the same place. Been in Arizona for more than 50 years, my home ac has yet to discharge a drop with the low humidity we are seeing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: