Through the wall air conditioners

Old 06-25-20, 01:39 PM
K
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Through the wall air conditioners

I have 2 through the wall air conditioners. They both are about 750,000 years old, give or take. Not to mention how energy efficient I am sure they are. But one measures 14 x 22 that is the 120 volt type and one is 25.5 x 19, which is the 220 volt type. It seems darn near impossible to find these sizes when searching. The smaller 120 volt is in the kitchen, where the larger one cools somewhat the rest of the house. I am doing my damndest to find 2 that are similar model, just different size.

But my question, is it better to do something bigger or smaller than what I have now, size wise? I was thinking each slightly bigger. Reason being, it goes out into my siding, so I would just need to make the hole bigger, and replace my J channel. But if I go smaller, then I have to replace my drywall, siding, and make the J channel smaller.

Am I missing something?

Old 06-25-20, 02:38 PM
Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts
Do they still work and cool the space adequately?

If they do I would keep them until they stop working.

The new AC units are really junk they only last for a year or two before they rust or corrode thus leaking out the refrigerant charge.

The old ones don't really use that much more energy then the modern junk ones that are sold today.

Also to get the same amount of cooling power as those old ones you usually have to go up a size or two (BTU rating not physical size),

Old 06-25-20, 03:02 PM
K
Oh wow, really? So your'e saying spruce them up a bit and keep them eh? Yeah they work great, I just figured they were costing me an arm and a leg compared to the new ones.

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-25-20, 03:47 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
I agree more or less. Every recent window AC I've seen is disposable junk. They are cheap to buy, work well for a few years but they just don't last like older models but they are noticeably more efficient... when new. If you own the home and will be there for 5+ years then I'd start looking at higher quality, possibly commercial units that could give you efficiency and longer life. Most any new unit will probably be a smaller size so it will be relatively easy to adapt to your wall openings.

Old 06-25-20, 04:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 659 Likes on 559 Posts
Another option is a mini-split. They are very efficient, quiet, and last a long time. Bad side is they can be quite expensive up front!

Old 06-25-20, 05:09 PM
Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts
Yes keep the filters clean of dust and dirt and clean the front panels up also from dust and dirt. those older units are built to last. If you don't mind the noise of those units, I would NOT install a mini-split unit. The apartment complex I live in installed them 3 years ago and they have been nothing but trouble, they do cool the place down (when they are working properly that is, but don't count on them staying working for long)

Old 06-25-20, 08:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,321 Likes on 2,983 Posts
What is that..... a snake growing in there.

Old 06-26-20, 10:32 AM
K
Ha, pretty much. I wonder if I can find a new filter for it. They are really loud, and work well. So I guess I will try to fix them up somehow. Wonder, can I paint them you think? Just so damn ugly...

Old 06-26-20, 10:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,321 Likes on 2,983 Posts
That's the filter..... all bunched up there ?
Typically you can buy a generic black foam replacement filter that you can cut to size.

Old 06-27-20, 10:08 PM
D
Received 99 Likes on 93 Posts
kallas08 should explore the modern alternative to wall AC's, mini splits. They offer better efficiency, lower cost operation, lower noise, excellent temperature control, and room heat when necessary. Was easy for this DIYer to install. The Chinese are half price of others from Asia and very reliable.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=a...sclient=psy-ab

Check out many of the reviews on subject.

Modern splits have variable refrigerant flow “VRF. Cooling is continually adjusted to actual heat load rather than “on – off” so it is important not to oversize them. Mini split AC's should run 100% of time at design temperature.

Regular wall AC's just run less when oversized.

Another point is some mini splits outside unit can drive several room wall units. Rather than buy regular several wall AC units, but one mini spilt outside and number wall units needed.

Last edited by doughess; 06-27-20 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-06-20, 07:52 AM
K
Is there any chance I could paint these with like spray paint? Any reason why I couldn't?

Old 07-06-20, 10:08 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
Yes, you can paint the outer housing of your air conditioners. Try not to paint the coil or it's fins as that can reduce it's efficiency.

Old 07-06-20, 11:23 AM
M
Received 249 Likes on 223 Posts
The front cover should come off and then you can paint it without worrying about getting paint on the coils.

Set the adjustable fins where you want them before painting as odds are they will not be adjustable after you paint them.
Or trying to move them will crack/chip the paint.

Old 07-07-20, 07:51 AM
K
Cool. Thanks. Make them look at least a little less terrible.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: