Blower motor speeds

Old 06-25-20, 03:01 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Blower motor speeds

My blower motor stopped working correctly. The tech came in on a service call and changed the speeds and now it works better than ever but he says it should be replaced BUT it works better than ever. It's under warranty but the labor is going to be $452. I already spent $89 on the service call. What do you think? I just don't understand the speed changing thing and why it works great now. The tech wasn't that friendly so he blew me off when I asked questions. Thanks.

Old 06-25-20, 08:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Since we have no idea what was done or what equipment you have.....
You may have a multispeed motor with an open/burned winding and the tech switched to one of the other speeds. I would recommend replacing the motor. $452 to replace a blower motor is on the high side. At the very least I hope it's going to be $452 - $89 = $363.

Old 06-25-20, 08:17 PM
T
Received 74 Upvotes on 68 Posts
I'd call the company and ask for a better explanation. You paid for a service, the least they could do is explain exactly what they did and why.

You say it works "great" which is really not descriptive (Note: Neither is "stopped working correctly") . Can we assume that "great" = high air flow? If so, listen to PJ. Units are designed to run the blowers at certain speeds for optimum performance of your unit. If he just connected the line to a higher speed, all that is is a band-aid.

Old 06-29-20, 06:03 AM
P
Thank you! Yeah I thought it sounded like a little much for the labor. It's a Carrier unit. I don't know exactly which one but I could find out. IT sounds like what he did is exactly what you said. It's a multi speed and he said he "switched speeds". I'm going to ask around. Thanks again.

Old 06-29-20, 06:27 AM
P
Thank you! Yeah I'm going to call them back today.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: