How do I access evap coils?

Old 06-28-20, 03:53 PM
H
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I access evap coils?

Hi. How should I go about accessing the evaporator coils on this unit? There's no access panel.

More info - recently, there was low airflow out of the ducts. The flow would be fine, then be really low. So I took the blower unit out and the blower assembly, wheel, and motor had a LOT of gunk on it. The wheel was physically lighter after cleaning it. I replaced the motor, bench tested the whole unit, everything worked as expected. When I was about to reinstall the unit, I noticed the filter was short. The 24 x 8 opening in the floor under the blower assembly location was being covered by a 20x10 filter. This has been going on for at least 17 years when the gf bought the condo and simply replaced the filter w / the size that was in there. The blower unit is so close to the filter that you simply couldnt see how far back the opening was. Anyway, that explained why there was so much gunk in the blower assembly. I reinstalled the blower assembly, turned it on. Good airflow was coming out of the vents but the air wasnt very cold. I dont know how cold the air was previous to replacing the blower. After a day, I noticed condensation coming from the AC unit - the corner under the ADP sticker. There's enough condensation coming off the unit to make the wood floor wet. The condensation pump is working and doesn't seem to be clogged. We don't believe there was ever condensation coming off the unit previously but it's possible. What's obviously changed now is that the airflow has changed because 1) the filter is covering the entire opening and 2) there's greater airflow coming from the blower wheel now that it's clean. The replacement blower motor was spec'd to the original. So given all of this I suspect the evaporator coils are extremely dirty. Perhaps the coils are now frozen over? Since there is no access panel, I'm hoping someone may have some advice on how to get in. Any other thoughts are also welcome as working AC units is new to me.

Old 06-28-20, 05:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,323 Likes on 2,984 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Good airflow was coming out of the vents but the air wasn't very cold.
Good indicator the coil is not clogged.

Someone went overboard on the drain lines there.
There is no trap and no way to clean the drain....... not good.

Looks like an ADP M type coil. It does not look like you can get to the coil. You may have to have the coil taken out to be cleaned. The picture shows what the coil looks like. You need to get to the bottom as that's where the dirt would be. The airflow is up... thru the coil.

ADP M series coil

Old 06-28-20, 06:56 PM
H
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pete - thanks for welcoming me to the community and thanks for your response. It sounds like it wasn't the best installation.

I'm trying to consider my options and welcome any thoughts.

1. Do nothing. Try to catch the condensation coming off the unit. Heater and AC both work - though the AC is not really cold (extra electricity bill). AC was definitely colder in previous years. Is condensation coming off the unit necessarily indicative of a major issue? Although it wouldn't be my choice, she has continued to run the AC. It appears the condensation has stopped for now. There does seem to be some indications that it's done this before.
2. Try to get into the coils myself. Based on what Pete has said, this doesn't seem like a great choice and probably wont be successful.
3. Call a professional to diagnose and fix.
4. If option 3 is really expensive, get a new furnace/AC unit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: