AC unit buzzing and humming but the fan not working

Old 07-01-20, 09:26 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC unit buzzing and humming but the fan not working

My Trane unit is about 12yrs old. It was working great until a couple hrs ago. Suddenly I can hear that the unit is on by its humming buzzing sound so I kept manually rotating the fan with a stick then it started running again. But I felt that it was still blowing warm air through the vent.

I have another unit next to it and I can tell the fan's not rotating as fast on the troubled one. Would that be the reason for the warm air? I don't think the freon leaked out suddenly 'cuz it was blowing cold air just a couple hrs ago before the fan stopped.

Will this require a new capacitor and is it an easy DIY job?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-20, 11:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 934 Votes on 871 Posts
The fan must be running full speed to cool the compressor and the condenser coil.
Will it require a new capacitor ? Maybe. If you have a capacitance setting on a meter you could check it. If you have no way to check it ...... it would be cost effective to replace it. Easy to replace. Make sure the outside condenser is powered off before working on it.

Old 07-02-20, 06:58 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks! It looks like I can just take pic first then replace it the exact same way. If I turn the AC switch off in the circuit box, it should kill all the power for me to safely work, right?

Old 07-02-20, 07:36 AM
Received 24 Votes on 19 Posts
It should, however most A/C installations have an electrical disconnect outdoors near the condenser unit. I would suggest that you disconnect the power both in the panel and at the outdoor disconnect, just to be certain that the power is off.

Old 07-02-20, 10:11 AM
Received 57 Votes on 53 Posts
Hi, Turn off power first , then touch a screw driver across the 2 terminals on the capacitor before you try to replace it, just in case it is still charged.
Geo