Outside AC unit not having any noise at all but it’s brand new

Old 07-03-20, 03:32 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outside AC unit not having any noise at all but it’s brand new

Ok so last summer our outside AC until had to be replaced. I don’t know all the ins and outs but I know our landlord got us a brand new one. Air worked after that. Heat worked all winter then I turned the whole thermostat off for awhile during the time it was too hot for heat but still cool enough we didn’t need the air yet. When I went to turn the air on months ago, if I put the fan on auto nothing happens anywhere. If I put the fan on cool then the inside AC unit part starts working and I get warm air from the vents but the outside AC unit, the brand new unit, isn’t making any noise and the fan is not spinning or anything. No humming sounds nothing. We’ve been using box fans in the windows for two months because I’m battling breast cancer and my oncologist has me on strict house lock down where no additional people can enter my home right now so I don’t get sick. My cancer is very aggressive. So anyways we haven’t been able to have it looked at and it’s getting too hot for just these box fans. Can someone please help me figure it out. My fiancé doesn’t do electricity and doesn’t want me messing with it either but I’m burning up. Side note I no none of these technical words you’re going to use but I can send pictures and I can google to figure things out. Someone please please help. I can’t work during my treatment so money is tight

Old 07-03-20, 04:07 PM
Received 77 Upvotes on 68 Posts
There are any number of reasons why the outside unit (condenser) isn't working. One possible reason is a break in the wire connecting the condenser to the house. The thermostat in the house tells the air handler or furnace (blower) to blow air. In addition, there is a 2-wire cable that runs from the air handler/furnace to the condenser that tells it to turn on when the thermostat calls for cooling. It's not uncommon for an animal to chew through the cable, disconnecting the condenser from the house. While ideally you should be using a multimeter to check to see if this is the problem (by checking to see if you're getting the "turn-on" voltage at the condenser), you can check visually to see if the cable is intact. Usually, the cable consists of 2 wires with a rubber sheath covering them.

Old 07-03-20, 04:22 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
our landlord got us a brand new one.
Not to disparage the discussion, why are you asking us for help when the landlord is the one you should be talking to first!

Old 07-03-20, 04:37 PM
H
Because I have cancer and cannot have anyone additional in my home due to my compromised immune system and risk of getting sick. So having the landlord and the AC repairman in my home to look it is is too many people right now. I’m trying to follow my doctors orders. I would love to just call up the landlord and having him have it fixed but I’d like to see if we can at least figure out the problem so maybe they don’t have to be here so long. Last time they had to come repair/put in a new one they had to come back multiple different days and stay many many hours. Just trying to cut down on my exposure to others is all.

Where would those cords im looking for be? Coming off the back of the outside unit and going under the underpinning?

Old 07-03-20, 04:44 PM
The cable will probably come out from under the siding and likely run along the ground to the condenser. The easiest way to trace the cable would be to start where the cable comes into the condenser, as that should be relatively easy to find.

I understand what you mean about your immune system being compromised. I am a Stage 4 lung cancer patient. I finished chemo just over a year ago. While undergoing chemo, my immune system was very compromised also.

Old 07-03-20, 04:47 PM
H
Bob, sorry for the terrible photos but these are all the cords I see coming from the back of the unit to the underpinning. These all seem intact and new I don’t see any holes or dings but I could be wrong. Idk what it looks like under the home but I don’t think any animals can get under the underpinning.

Old 07-03-20, 04:50 PM
H
I also hope you’re doing well with the current treatment you’re on. I’m stage 2, at one time 3, breast cancer. I just rang the bell yesterday and awaiting surgery now

Old 07-03-20, 05:07 PM
The small cable that is taped to the larger sheath in the middle picture is the cable I'm referring to. If there are no breaks in the cable from the condenser to where it goes into the house, then that is not the problem. I suggested this because this is something that you can check yourself without requiring any equipment (voltmeter). If you have a voltmeter (multimeter), we can give you further instructions on things to check.

Good luck with your treatments and surgery!

Old 07-03-20, 05:13 PM
H
Thank you I might can get a multimeter and check back. One thing I just did was I cleaned the inside until, the silver grate looking things on it were covered in dust so I turned off the main breaker to the whole house and wiped those down. I turned the breaker to the house back on then went to the thermostat and turned it on. It now works when the fan is in auto and before this clean it only worked when the fan was on ON so maube im getting somewhere. The outside unit is still not making any noise. It says it’s 86 in the home and I have it set to 79 so I think I’m going to set it to 83 and see if that gets the outside to kick on maybe

Old 07-03-20, 05:23 PM
H
If this doesn’t work and I want to open the panel on the outside unit to look at the electrical/conductor/etc would it be ok to turn off the main power breaker to the home and that’s it or do I need to turn something off that would be outside?

Old 07-03-20, 05:27 PM
A
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
when you turned off the breaker and back on you cycled the controls and reset the unit. can you take a pic looking down inside the unit you probably have a low pressure or high pressure switch that was reset. check your temp outside and above the fan also check the supply and return temps your condenser coil could be dirty

Old 07-03-20, 05:31 PM
H
Acmikeee, I don’t really know what any of that is but I can take a picture of the inside of the outdoor unit. One minute. It’s not making any noise at all and the fan isn’t spinning. Or anything I’ll take a pic. Everything looks brand new in it as well

Old 07-03-20, 05:35 PM
H
Here’s the inside pics of the outdoor unit

Last edited by PJmax; 07-03-20 at 06:41 PM. Reason: two pictures of fan not needed and removed.
Old 07-03-20, 05:44 PM
H
There is also this little black box I just saw. Can’t tell what it says or much about it sorry it’s blurry that’s the best pic I could get

Last edited by PJmax; 07-03-20 at 06:42 PM. Reason: removed un-needed picture of the compressor
Old 07-03-20, 05:49 PM
Received 19 Upvotes on 18 Posts
You've shut off and turned on the main breaker to the house, but have you tried resetting the circuit breaker to the outdoor unit?

Old 07-03-20, 06:03 PM
H
That’s what I’m looking for to try next but having a hard time finding it. It’s not close to the unit like most. Would this bottom grey box be the outdoor power supply or is that still part of the electric meter thing? Sorry if that’s a dumb question. This is literally the only thing I can find for outdoor power supply and if it is how do I get the front panel off to get inside? I can’t get it to come off

Old 07-03-20, 06:16 PM
A
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
there is a high pressure switch located on the smaller line coming off the compressor. if it trips again call your land lord to have the coil cleaned they don't need to come into the house to check the pressure and clean the coil.

Old 07-03-20, 06:18 PM
I can't imagine why the breakers would be "outside" of the home, but I'm not an electrician. There probably is a panel inside the house. Go ahead and open the panel door you've shown and take a pic for us.

Old 07-03-20, 06:18 PM
The box below the meter is not the disconnect for the condenser. The electrical disconnect (if you have one), should be located near the condenser unit. Actually, in looking at the first picture you posted, it appears that the 240VAC power cable that powers the unit goes directly into a hole in the skirting. What Tinkerman was asking was if you tried resetting the circuit breaker (on your breaker panel) that controls the 240VAC power to the outside unit. It should be marked, but if it isn't, you could try turning all of the circuit breakers off and then back on one at a time. Let us know what you find.

Old 07-03-20, 06:21 PM
H
It’s marked all kinds of crazy and some things aren’t marked at all so I’ll try turning everything off and on one at a time. I should be listening for the outside unit to make noise when I turn that breaker back on right?

Old 07-03-20, 06:23 PM
Thanks Bob, you explained it better than I did.

Old 07-03-20, 06:25 PM
Just turn them off/on one at a time and when you're finished, then check if the fan on top of the condenser is running. If it is, then you have power to the outside unit. Be aware that many thermostats have a 5 minute timeout so that you can't turn the A/C off and right back on again. If you try to do that, the thermostat will wait 5 minutes before it tries to turn the condenser on. So, give it time to come on after resetting the breakers.

Old 07-03-20, 06:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
One picture looks like a regular house on a foundation. The other picture looks like skirting under a manufactured home. Are there two houses here ?

We know the blower is working inside. The outside unit is a year old. It looks pretty clean. It would be very doubtful to be a high pressure issue. It could be a low pressure issue if there had been a leak in the sealed system.

It is very possible the A/C breaker is under the meter in the lower box. That cover should just lift up.
If that pole is within site of the A/C unit.... no separate disconnect is needed.

Is your air handler/furnace inside in a place that if it leaked it could cause water damage ?
If yes..... there may be a float switch that has been tripped.

My recommendation is to call the landlord/HVAC tech and have the outside unit checked. There's a good chance your problem is outside and they don't have to come inside.

Old 07-03-20, 08:03 PM
H
Thank you everyone I’ll try i

Old 07-03-20, 08:12 PM
Group Moderator
Keep us posted. We'll be here to help.

Last edited by PJmax; 07-04-20 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-03-20, 09:47 PM
H
There is only one house. It’s a mobile home. The power pole that has the two grey boxes is on the side of the house. If you look back where the house cuts the corner around that corner is right where the outside AC unit is. I’m going to try to flip all the inside breakers off and back on tomorrow wait 30 min and see if the outside unit is working If not I’ll see if I can figure out how to open that grey box I’m pretty sure all that is just for the electricity company but I’m not sure

Old 07-03-20, 10:04 PM
Group Moderator
The top half is the meter and is sealed.
The bottom half is called a disconnect panel.
The bottom door will lift up from the bottom.
You will have at least one breaker.... probably a 2P50A breaker for the home. (yellow)
You will have a second breaker in there. My guess is it will be a 2P30A for the A/C condenser. (blue)

Old 07-04-20, 06:18 AM
H
Flipping the breakers didn’t work and I can’t get the grey box open. Anyone have any other ideas? Could low Freon cause it to not work?

Old 07-04-20, 07:53 AM
...and I can’t get the grey box open. Anyone have any other ideas?

Call your neighbor and see if they can open it for you.

Old 07-04-20, 08:38 AM
H
I’ll see if my fiancé can open it in a little bit

Old 07-04-20, 09:04 AM
H
I just took pics of the sides so if anyone knows how to get it open I’d appreciate it. I tried lifting up from the bottom and that didn’t work

Last edited by PJmax; 07-04-20 at 09:40 AM. Reason: resized/labeled pictures
Old 07-04-20, 09:31 AM
Group Moderator
On the bottom right hand corner is the latch.
I think you pull the catch forward and pull on the door.
Move the latch around until the door drops down about 1/2".
The door will drop down and hinge open from the right as there are hinges on the left side.

Old 07-04-20, 09:43 AM
H
That was it!! Now what?

Old 07-04-20, 09:45 AM
Looks like the 30 amp breaker is tripped. Firmly switch it off and then on to reset it.

Old 07-04-20, 09:47 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Doesn’t look like it would open by lifting it up because the cover is under the lip, does that locking device on the bottom move?
Geo

Old 07-04-20, 09:48 AM
H
The 30 won’t turn the electric off to the house will it?

Old 07-04-20, 09:52 AM
Group Moderator
No..... the 30A is not for the house. Push it firmly towards off and then turn back on.

Old 07-04-20, 09:54 AM
H
Omg it fixed it everyone!!!!!! The outside is working and the vents are blowing cold air!!!! Thank you so much for all your help. This cancer patient can finally cool off thank you thank you so much

Old 07-04-20, 11:23 AM
Group Moderator
So good you're back in the cool.

Since the breaker out there tripped...... if it trips again..... the problem is outside and should be able to be addressed outside.

Old 07-04-20, 12:37 PM
H
Yes thank you so much for all your help!! Good to know if it trips again they can fix it from outside

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: