Couple questions about a portable a/c

Old 07-07-20, 01:56 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Couple questions about a portable a/c

I have a couple questions related to a portable ac i have,
Its a 14k btu dual hose unit,

i set it on 65degrees and the air coming out seems very cool slightly cold to the hand, i placed a thermometer in that vent at it reads about 58 to 62 degrees, so isnt that too warm? Shouldnt it be a lot colder?
Outside temp would be in mid 80s to high 90s, room 500sqft never gets cooler than about 75 to 80 degrees,

Ive been running it daily for a few weeks and never has it set off alert that it needed draining, last night curious i pulled the drain plug and perhaps a drop or 2 thats its, im in florida humid, shouldnt it be pulling out a lot more water ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-20, 04:03 AM
Received 320 Votes on 300 Posts
The output air is not adjustable, it just keeps running till it hits the preset temp but chances of it ever getting the room down to 65 are probably impossible.

Yes I would think there should be a lot of water pulled out of the air!

Old 07-07-20, 04:38 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 534 Votes on 491 Posts
I would check your AC with a thermometer. Take the temperature of the room. Then stick the thermometer in the output of the AC. You should be seeing about 15-20 degrees f difference. If it is less than that it is possible the AC is low on refrigerant. Another way to check is to feel the output hoses. One of them should be considerably warm to the touch.

I have a two hose 12k BTU portable AC in my garage. Of course this depends on the humidity in the room but mine will produce a bit over a quart of water per hour and the air coming from it is definetely cold.

Old 07-07-20, 06:28 AM
Received 57 Votes on 53 Posts
Hi, is the filter clean? your sure the compressor is running and not just the fan?
Geo

Old 07-07-20, 03:26 PM
T
Yes, i hear when the compressor is on, and of course i know if i have my temp set to say 65 degrees its not going to get the room 65 when the outside temp is high 80s into 90s, what i asked is like i said if i place a thermometer in the air outlet vent what should that temp be, i was under the impression the 15-20 degrees difference was room temp vs outside temp, my car ac is about 40 at the vents, even when its 100 out, of course the car doesnt get 40 inside,

Yes one window hose is warm almost hot the other coolish,

And any quesses why its not collecting any water.

Yes, its clean, yes, compressor running

Old 07-07-20, 03:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 175 Votes on 157 Posts
It sounds like the unit is running just fine to me. Just because you set the stat to a lower temperature does not mean it will get colder any faster. A/C units, portable or otherwise, are either on or off. (With the exception of multi-stage units) Also, remember that the portable is cooling approximately 4000 cubic feet of air (Based on a 8' ceiling height) while the car is only cooling about 100 cubic feet of air.

The two hoses are using only for cooling the condenser half of the unit. That air should not be mixing with the room air and the room mare should not be getting sucked outside. I know I have to install a cover to the back of my unit so that it would not draw any air from the room. You might want to check your unit as well. You can also shut all the doors to the room and then crack one open. If you feel a draft through the crack then your unit is sucking room air outside.

And any quesses why its not collecting any water.
Some units will mist the water out the discharge hose.

Can you post the make/model of your A/C?

Old 07-07-20, 04:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 938 Votes on 875 Posts
Many units have what's called a slinger attached to the condenser fan. As the fan turns the slinger picks up the condensate and throws it at the condenser coil. This helps to cool that coil. Some turns to a heated mist and is discharged outside.

Old 07-07-20, 06:45 PM
C
Your AC is running fine, you get 17-18 degree difference (room temp minus cool air temp) that is normal for room AC (Not car AC). You don't get much colder may be because other reasons: AC unit is too small, room is too big, or not well insulated room, etc...

Old 07-07-20, 08:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 938 Votes on 875 Posts
Those portable units are a comprise. They cannot discharge enough of the heat outside.

Old 07-13-20, 03:39 AM
T
Thanks all, i was in fear it wasnt cooling as good as it can, my OCD giving me issues, lol,
It sounds like its working very well as far as what it can do, its a wynter arc14, its a very hard to cool room in a hard to cool house,

Heres some more details, the room is fairly large its odd shaped, 5 walls, about 8 ft ceiling, i didnt measure it perfectly but its about 500 sqft ill measure better later today, the house is over 100yo, that room has windows across 2 walls and zero insulation, its been in the 90s daily, past 100 a day or two, i use fans to get the air moving in the room,

This unit has 2 window hoses one gets pretty warm the other is cool, and the rear of the unit has the air intake from the room this is where its filter is at, and yes, this unit boasted of using the water to help cool and wasnt suppose to need draining except in high humidity which i have, no, its not sucking air from crack or ?, there is a huge exhaust fan upstairs it pulls from the 2nd floor and dumps into the attic, when its on its like a little jet running, no kidding you can feel cool air pouring in from all kinds of cracks etc, it pulls up cool basement air and i it does a number in the hottest times but its not a beast you want running for very long at a time,

Back to the portable ac, The two large vent hoses are fairly close together so that since the hot one is blowing hot air out the window next to the cool one pulling air in it must be pulling some % of hot air back in, not much because the hose isnt warm but i considered perhaps a bit or dryer hose added to one outside the window so the one dumping hot air dumps it further away from the one pulling in fresh air, might not be worth the effort,

Portable was for now my only option in that room, windows outlook the porch deck so cant use a window unit and while in the 80s the house was set up with dual ac one on first floor and another on second the units had long given up when we bought the fixer upper a few years back,

2020 is a bad year for us, covid shut down both of our incomes but perhaps at some point i can look into getting central stuff back since the ducts are there but a few will need rerouting as i want my indoor stairs to the basement back,

Again thanks all, stay safe,
Cheers
b