HVAc trips when I turn on the AC. How to diagnose and repair?

Old 07-08-20, 02:03 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
HVAc trips when I turn on the AC. How to diagnose and repair?

A few days back, I found out that the fan of the HVAC system is running (fan inside is running and heating works fine) but the outside condenser unit is not running. The circuit breaker was tripped and whenever I switch on the circuit breaker, it trips again in 3-5 seconds. I changed the circuit breaker and it trips again.

I called a few HVAC guys and they suggested to change the compressor unit guessing that compressor is blown. They didnít even check it.

This is a 14 years old unit and uses R22 refrigerant. Changing the whole HVAC will cost me 7-8K.

Could anyone advise me how to check if the compressor is actually broken? And if it is, how much will it cost to change just the compressor?

Thank you !!

Ranveer

Old 07-08-20, 07:22 AM
Received 158 Upvotes on 144 Posts
Hi, what kind of equipment do you have? have you looked into the condenser section? posts some pics of what it looks like in there.
set the thermostat way above room temperature, reset the breaker and see if it still trips.
Geo

Old 07-08-20, 10:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,333 Upvotes on 2,992 Posts
A 14 year old system would be borderline worth replacing the compressor. It depends on the condition of the coils in the condenser. R22 has become extremely expensive. Since your compressor may be bad..... the refrigeration can probably not be re-used with commercial filtering.

You've already tried several times to reset the condenser breaker. Don't try it any more.

If you think you want to service the system you will need a VOM (volt ohmmeter).
You would post the full model number of the condenser.
A big help would be to remove the wiring cover and post a few pictures of what is in there. We can more easily tell you what to check based on what we see. How-to-insert-pictures.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: