Blower capacitor replacement: high labor cost ?

Old 07-08-20, 04:49 PM
N
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Blower capacitor replacement: high labor cost ?

I had a home inspection on a property I am trying to sell and they quoted 500$ to replace two capacitors in two separate blower units in the my attic. I looked up the actual cost of the capacitors. 18 and 24$ each. So besides discharging the energy out of the capacitors and climbing into a hot attic. What am I missing? Should be about 30-45 minutes of labor. And they are charging 450$??? Is there more to it to swap them out??

Old 07-08-20, 04:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,323 Likes on 2,984 Posts
How does a home inspection fit in here ?

That's not something they check for or dictate unless the blower is not running and they're offering repair help. The caps aren't changed as automatic maintenance.

Yes...... that labor is high BUT now that it's on an inspection report..... it must be done by a certified HVAC company and a bill must be submitted as showing the same. A homeowner could not make that repair himself.

Same thing with electrical or plumbing issues.

Old 07-08-20, 05:02 PM
N
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It WAS inspected by the Home Inspector and the units are working just fine. But again 500$? Unless I am missing something? Just outright greed for a pretty simple appearing job...

Old 07-08-20, 05:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,323 Likes on 2,984 Posts
Ok..... it was inspected by a home inspector and ......... ?

We've established the price is high. Find another contractor.
You'll find high prices in all fields that's why we advise getting three estimates.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: