Window AC tilt angle

Old 07-09-20, 01:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Window AC tilt angle

I've finally had enough of the heat and bought a window AC for the bedroom to supplement the central AC so I'm not running it all night to cool one room.

But I've tried 2 different window AC units, and for the life of me cannot get the recommended 3/4" to 1" of tilt angle the both called for.

I have pretty standard 90/00s vinyl double hung windows. The sill is about 4" wide, with a lip only on the inside that the sash sits behind when the window is closed.

The "feet" of the AC sit directly behind that lip on the horizontal sill perfectly fine. When you close the window the top bar on the AC is supposed to be on the inside of the bottom of the sash. Even removing the handle from the window, the unit sits level. It seems like a design flaw that the top support bar doesn't have multiple positions.

I played with chunks of wood, but the only way I can get the angle to to bring the "feet" inside the sill lip. Then it's in so far that the side panels no longer line up with the side channels of the window frame.

Am I being dense here, or is this just a poor design on both brands I've tried?

Last edited by scoob8000; 07-09-20 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-09-20, 06:18 PM
C
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I see no problem here, not sure why your unit sits level, you should be able to mount the unit with outside lower. you may want to put something at the bottom of the unit (outside) to support the unit so you don't use the top bar of the AC to catch all the weight.

Old 07-10-20, 08:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Basically have the top bar outside the window instead of inside?

I didn't try to figure out that way. I'll need some sort of shelf. But I'm thinking that might be too much of an angle.

I don't know how tightly these newer unit need to adhere to the angle thing. Seems like most of them don't really drip anymore but fling the condensate around to improve efficiency.

Old 07-10-20, 02:04 PM
C
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The top bar of the AC should be inside of the window, so when you pull the window down, it catches the bar, therefore the AC unit won't fall out. All window ACs are installed the same way, just follow the instruction, you will be fine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: