ice on my AC evaporator coil

Old 07-11-20, 09:37 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ice on my AC evaporator coil

Hi,
Just wondering, what could be the problem for my home HVAC system. When I turn on the air conditioning system, the cool air doesn't seem to be strong enough to cool the house. Inside, I find found ice forming on the bottom of the A/C evaporator coils and pipe leading to the unit. I went outside and noticed ice forming on the pipe to the outside condensing unit. Though fan in the outside condensing unit seems to be running properly and I just cleaned the evaporator coils.

Here's a picture of the ice in the a/c evaporator coils. Any idea what the problem could be? Thanks

Old 07-11-20, 09:43 AM
Received 27 Votes on 22 Posts
Ice on the evaporator coil is normally the result of either of two things: insufficient airflow over the coil, or low refrigerant charge. Since you say that the filter is clean and the blower seems okay, it points to a low refrigerant charge. To check the blower, turn the A/C off for 24 hours or so to let the ice on the evaporator melt. Once the ice is all melted, turn on the A/C and see if you feel normal airflow. If you do, the blower is working okay. As the ice starts to form on the evaporator coil, that will block the airflow and reduce the amount of air flow from the registers.

Old 07-11-20, 09:45 AM
G
Received 13 Votes on 13 Posts
Low refrigerant charge. That isn't a DIY job. The leak needs to be fixed and the system recharged.

Old 07-11-20, 10:09 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the quick replies. The blower does seem to be working ok, so I guess I'll need to hire a professional to check the refrigerant. Thanks again!!!

Old 07-11-20, 10:30 AM
R
Received 109 Votes on 103 Posts
Do them a favor. Shut off the air conditioner and only run the blower to thaw the coil. This will save the tech time when they get there. You can’t diagnose a unit while it’s frozen like that.

Drangd voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: