Mini Split AC for Enclosure

Old 07-12-20, 03:58 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mini Split AC for Enclosure

Hello,
I am going to enclose my screen enclosure with tall-fixed picture windows. I need to heat and cool the room.
Can I fit a mini split ac system up where the blue arrow is pointing. That top portion is about 16 inches deep across the top. Just not sure if the blower will fit up there tight against the ceiling. Thanks!

Old 07-12-20, 04:36 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
We don't know where you are located or how large the room is so we can only guess at how large a unit you will need. It would be very easy for you to look up the specs for the system you are considering. The dimensions will tell you if it will fit or not. Smaller units are about 12" high and certainly would fit but larger units do approach 16" in height. Worst case if you need the capacity you could have two smaller indoor units which might be better for air circulation anyhow.

Old 07-12-20, 04:54 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
The units I've installed have required 6-8" above the unit for incoming airflow. I haven't seen a unit that would mount in that small a location (though there are a lot of different units out there, maybe a few do).

But since you're going to be reframing for new windows, maybe in one section your windows can be lower, giving you more wall space to mount the unit.

I'm not sure how much clearance you have above the ceiling, but you might look into the cassette units too, they flush-mount into the ceiling

Old 07-12-20, 06:47 AM
P
Thanks for that great info! Sorry for the lack of info. The room measures 16x25ft and I'm in middle Tennessee. So, I need to cool at least a 400 sq/ft room. Brick is on the back and side walls - house side. I was looking at these Cree Mini Split systems. They seem pretty quiet. Like Zorfdt mentioned, there needs to be space around the blower. I see that those Cree systems are real quiet... Hope I can fit one up there.....

Old 07-12-20, 07:00 AM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
I have a 12,000BTU Mitsubishi AC/Heat combo. The wall unit is 12" high and is installed with a 2 1/2" headspace. We have not used the heat function but the AC cools our 430 s/f master bedroom effectively and very quietly.

Old 07-12-20, 08:12 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
When sizing your unit don't forget to account for the large amount of glass in that room which means it's poorly insulated compared to a normal room. And, if the room gets direct sun it will need to be upsized even more at least for cooling.

Old 07-12-20, 09:32 AM
P
Thanks for that. I will mention it to my contractor....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: