GE AJCM wall air conditioner not removing humidity

Old 07-12-20, 03:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GE AJCM wall air conditioner not removing humidity

A few years ago, I replaced four 2nd-floor wall air conditioners (the wife was balking on ductless AC) and they all work fairly well, except for the one in the master bedroom. It cools but doesnít seem to be removing the humidity from the room. I believe itís sized properly (9000 btus for a 250-300 sq ft room). Iíve also noticed itís the only one that I can hear the fan hitting water when it starts and when itís running.

Could poor drainage be an issue? I canít even find where the unit drains.

Old 07-12-20, 04:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,323 Likes on 2,984 Posts
If you are hearing water...... the A/C is dehumidifying.

Most air conditioners have a slinger on the condenser fan that slings the water up and onto the condenser coil to help cool it as well as get rid of excessive condensation. Usually when you hear the water sloshing it's because it's either not getting to the slinger or the level is fairly high. It could be a clog in the drain pan but more likely the unit may not be tipped down enough on the outside for the water to flow outside.

Old 07-12-20, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thatís the part of the problem: I canít find where this unit drains. Iíve looked in the manual and thereís no diagram, nor can I find one online. Iíve cleaned out the unit and canít see where the water is supposed to drain out.

That being said, does it make sense to make my own drain?

Old 07-12-20, 05:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,323 Likes on 2,984 Posts
There are two sections of the drain pan. Towards the front is where the evaporator water drips into the pan. Then there is a small channel where the water runs from the front section to the pan outside. Once the water is outside.... the fan will sling it up and get rid of it. The water is probably backing up in the front part of the pan.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: