R-22 or R-410? help with HVAC company

Old 07-12-20, 03:07 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
R-22 or R-410? help with HVAC company

Hello,
Does anyone know how to find out if your HVAC system uses R-22 or R-410? I was told to check the label, but the system is over 20 years old (I think) so over the years the label has become unreadable. Cleaning it just cause more letters to disappear (see picture)

One HVAC company believes it is R-22 since it's such an old system. He quoted me $90 for the inspection and $500 to top up the R-22, even though he hasn't even seen the unit yet. I'm a little suspicious. Should I be worried? how do I know if an HVAC company is trying to scam me or not?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-20, 03:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 934 Votes on 871 Posts
That's going to be a Lenox or Armstrong built unit.
It may be more than 20 years old.

We cannot guess which refrigerant is used. There are two more ways of finding out.
1) Take a flashlight and look down thru the condenser fan and locate the compressor model number.
2) Check for the ID tag on the inside unit. It may list a dedicated type. If not... post the model number.

You haven't told us what the problem is. I don't recommend just "topping off the system" without trying to find a leak. You DO NOT want a charge and go service because they'll just be back.

Old 07-12-20, 03:52 PM
R
Received 100 Votes on 94 Posts
There is no “topping up”.
Refrigerant isn’t consumed as the system operates. The refrigeration system is sealed. Which means if you need to put refrigerant in, there’s a leak somewhere.

user 10 voted this post useful.
Old 07-12-20, 10:08 PM
F
Received 2 Votes on 1 Post
This probably won't help on your data tag but here's a tip for other's reading this post with a similar problem. I always carry a soft lead dull point pencil in my AC bag that has helped over 50% of the time. Very gently rub the pencil lead over the unreadable data-tag to leave a light coating of graphite on it. The letters/numbers often darken and become somewhat visible. Take phone-photos now with the light hitting at different angles. Enlarging the photos can also help. Doesn't always work, but it's surprising how often it will.

Old 07-12-20, 10:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 934 Votes on 871 Posts
@ fastback.

Some excellent information. I was looking at the inspectors site and they showed a picture of a good label. It looks like it's just inked onto a sticker. A poor way to make a weather resistant label.
It's not the typical heavily printed tag where it leaves an indent.

Old 07-13-20, 04:20 PM
F
Received 2 Votes on 1 Post
Pjmax

I totally agree on the poor way the data decals hold up, sometimes illegible after only a few years The embossed ones are usually still readable regardless of fading. Some spit and wiping a thumb over it usually works. I was amazed that graphite would often grab completely unembossed decals that are totally faded. Still better than the companies that long ago used a small printed paper number sheet poorly glued near the contactor/ cap.

Old 07-14-20, 07:19 AM
A
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
check your indoor coil it might say it on the outside if not open it up and read what your metering device it will say what type it is

Old 07-24-20, 08:14 PM
Received 41 Votes on 35 Posts
As roughneck stated, refrigerant shouldn't need to be added unless there's a leak, in which case the leak should be fixed or unit replaced.

The oldest units to use 410a were made in the mid 90s - carrier was the first one to offer it. It's very unlikely your unit has 410a.

Old 07-24-20, 09:08 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Depends on how bad the leak is, if you only have to add freon every 3 or 4 years, means the leak is very small, you may be better of with adding the R22, assume now you do not have the fund for a new system. In fact, in Canada, AC system should be able to run 25-30 years, so you can either pay some one to find the leak, or just add the freon and take the chance. It may last 3 or 4 years, at least you will know next time. But $500 to add R22 is a little too high, shop around, may be some one can do it for $300. ​​​​​​

Old 07-25-20, 05:38 PM
Received 41 Votes on 35 Posts
it's against the law in canada to top off leakers, and rightfully so!