A/C dripping water

Old 07-16-20, 08:34 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 1 Post
A/C dripping water

Just noticed it this morning at 10am. I usually turn off the A/C in the mornings around 7am. Assume the drain pipe is clogged but the other end is ok. Or is there a pan inside that may have rusted out? Where would I cut the pipe to check for a clog?

overview:

water dripping:

seems to be coming from here:

drain pipe:

Last edited by PJmax; 07-17-20 at 11:18 AM. Reason: imported pics from links
Old 07-16-20, 10:05 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,716 Upvotes on 1,532 Posts
Usually leaking is caused by a clogged drain. I would cut in the straight horizontal section where the wire is draped over. That would allow you to snake back towards the AC as well as downstream. I make one saw cut then you can usually pull the pipe aside enough to clean it out. Then I get a rubber dishwasher drain hose boot and cut off the narrow end. Slip the larger diameter section over the pipes and secure with a hose clamp on either end. Then in the future the rubber boot can be removed to clean the pipe again.

Old 07-16-20, 10:09 AM
A
I would cut in the straight horizontal section where the wire is draped over.
Wouldn't snaking two 90 degree bends be difficult?

Old 07-16-20, 11:15 AM
A
Well it's not that. Cut the pipe where it comes out of the unit and the water is below the bottom of it.

Old 07-16-20, 12:03 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,716 Upvotes on 1,532 Posts
Water is below the bottom of what?

Old 07-16-20, 02:28 PM
A
The bottom of the pipe coming out of the unit.

Old 07-16-20, 10:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,342 Upvotes on 3,001 Posts
I don't see any pictures.

The water is below the fitting. That would mean the pan is not over full....... then it's leaking.
OR there is negative pressure inside the air handler keeping the water from draining properly.

How old is the system ?

Old 07-17-20, 05:40 AM
A
It was installed in 1990.

Old 07-17-20, 06:54 AM
F
Received 21 Upvotes on 18 Posts
I see in one photo that there is a vertical pipe rising from a tee. This would leave me to believe that there is a humidifier that drains from somewhere above the photo's field. If you can remove a pad, or whatever, to access the area above the a-coil you should be able to use a mirror, or cell phone to take a picture of the pan. If it's full of water you have a plugged condensate line, or pan at it's drain. If it's empty you probably have a leaking or rusted out pan. If it's determined you have a plug you can add water from the humidifier. If it drains ok then the plug is between the tee and the a-coil, if not it's between the tee and the and the end of the condensate run. Once the location is determined you can blow it out, suck it out, or cut it out. Cutting out and replacing is quick, cheap, and reduces call backs. Blow backs usually result in future plugs. Suck outs require a wet vacuum and a method to reduce down to the pipe's size.
BTW, that open hi-port on the pressure switch would leave me to believe it probably isn't the proper one for the furnace.

Old 07-17-20, 10:55 AM
Q
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You might want to check whether your coil drain pan is leaking or not. It happened on my unit and it ends up I have to replace the whole coil unit with a new pan.

Best

Old 07-17-20, 11:53 AM
A
When I checked this morning there was no leaking. Weird. Will keep an eye on it for sure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: