Wire overheating on compressor

Old 07-19-20, 05:10 PM
T
Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Wire overheating on compressor

Twice in the last 5 years the wire going to my Herm terminal on my capacitor has overheated to the point of charring and eventually burning off. I've tested amp draw for the compressor and it is withing spec. The capacitor is the correct spec, has been retested and was installed a couple of years ago. It has a 3-2-1 assist installed. Looking at the capacitor the spade terminal are rusty even though each time I've sanded them clean prior to reinstalling the wires.

Each time I've reattached using a spade terminal attached to the Herm wire via clamping from my wire stripper. Am I just making a bad connection there?

Old 07-19-20, 05:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,323 Likes on 2,984 Posts
A bad connection will create heat. Feel free to put a thin coating of grease on the terminal if you're having a rusting problem. I carry white lithium grease with me for that application.

Old 07-19-20, 05:53 PM
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
If you have a soldering iron, in addition to crimping the terminal onto the wire, I would suggest soldering the wire to the terminal. This will ensure that you have a good solid connection from the wire to the terminal. In addition, make sure that the terminal is a tight fit onto the capacitor lug. If it's not a tight fit, take a pair of pliers and compress the portion of the terminal where it slides onto the lug.

Old 07-19-20, 06:38 PM
T
Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
I have a tube of dielectric grease that'll I've used on low voltage auto applications. Ok for higher voltage?

Bob, the terminals I have are insulated, I'll see if I can break it off, will try squeezing the terminal tighter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: