Opinion on A/C return unit closet

Old 07-22-20, 08:02 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Opinion on A/C return unit closet

Our return unit is in a closet in our hallway. We had a friend who we trust who's been in the heating and air business for over 40 years give everything a once over.

He said that the closet is open to the attic, and he said that means our unit is spending quite a bit of energy trying to cool air coming from the attic.

He said we need to seal up the closet (I think he actually said we need to line it) so you can't see the attic at all when you are looking in the closet where the return unit is.

He said this should save us a good bit on our cooling bills.

You professionals out there....Do you agree with this assessment?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-22-20, 08:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
A return should ONLY be drawing conditioned air in.
An air return in a closest doesn't sound very effective.
Is there large grill or grate in the door ?

Old 07-22-20, 08:10 PM
D
I call it a closet, but it's the "closet" designed for the return unit. The door is higher up the wall than a regular closet door, and the grate is under the door. One of the things he suggested to is to make that opening larger and put a larger grill on it.

Old 07-22-20, 08:15 PM
Group Moderator
Pictures..... we love pictures.
So your A/C air handler is installed in that closet...... and that closest is open to the attic.
That's not good.
A large return grill is a good thing.
Is there at least a filter on the unit ?

Old 07-22-20, 08:20 PM
D
I know you love pictures, but everyone is asleep right now, and I can't cut the lights on I would need to get the pictures you love. There is a filter on the unit, and I think you've got the picture about the closet being open to the attic. Do you think sealing that would reduce our cooling bills? It might be the only way I can convince my precious, tightwad husband that we should do it.

Old 07-22-20, 10:23 PM
Group Moderator
It absolutely needs to be sealed. When the air handler draws in air..... it will draw from the path of least resistance and that will be an open ceiling.

If the ceiling can't be sealed then the air handler return line needs to be ducted directly to the hallway.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: