Nest temperature sensor - useful?

Old 07-23-20, 03:18 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Nest temperature sensor - useful?

To confirm, if I have central A/C with just 1 zone in the house, and heat is just upstairs/downstairs (with 1 nest already located upstairs and 1 downstairs), there is no reason to get these, correct?

https://uismartsolutions.com/collect...erature-sensor

I can't heat/cool by room, so these are useless, right? Or, do they help Nest adjust the temperature by taking, for example, an average of all the sensors, rather than just the temp at the main Nest thermostat itself?

Actually, as I'm reading more about it, it looks like, for example, I could tell it to cool the downstairs between 5 PM and 7 PM to a certain temp based on what I want the kitchen to be, correct? And then I could tell it from 7 to 9 to cool down to a temp I want in the family room...

Therefore, whether or not these things work great or are good or whatever, it would actually work with my current setup, correct?

Thank you.

Old 07-23-20, 10:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,420 Votes on 1,313 Posts
In my opinion....remote temperature sensors are pretty much a useless gimmick.

Since you have a nest on each floor..... adding a remote temp sensor won't do anything for the heat.
I'm assuming the first floor nest controls the first floor heat as well as the A/C.
You could put a remote sensor on the second floor to control the A/C temperature..... but keep in mind if the sensor tells the A/C to cool more in order to cool the second floor...... the first floor will also cool more to the point it will be cold.

Old 07-24-20, 06:16 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Got it, thanks. Our issue is we do have hot and cold rooms, and I'm thinking it might be nice during dinner (kitchen) or tv time (family room) to have the Nest heat/cool those rooms to our liking, even if it means the rest of the house will be out of whack (too hot or cold).

Will think it over but probably more trouble than it's worth and will be constantly adjusting since we don't always eat, etc. at the same time...

Old 07-24-20, 08:24 AM
A
Received 49 Votes on 44 Posts
Yes, a gimmick but usually good for WAF. Most effective is to put one in the master bedroom and program to use at night.

Old 07-24-20, 10:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,420 Votes on 1,313 Posts
Mayne not a gimmick..... but not as helpful as they're made out to be.

They lead you to believe that using remote sensors will even out the system. It won't.
They have a purpose as long as you understand their limitations.

Old 07-26-20, 12:20 AM
Received 17 Votes on 17 Posts
You need to balance the room airflows, and you may find some duct repairs are indicated when you try. Look for an HVAC contractor who employs flow hoods similar to https://tsi.com/products/ventilation...ure-hood-8380/

Don't rely on anyone using velometers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: