A/C stopped working...

Old 07-30-20, 03:01 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A/C stopped working...

Hi, came home to find the AC on and air blowing hot. Checked the condenser outside and it wasn't working. Checked the outside breaker switch and found it tripped. I reset it and after a minute or so it turned on but the fan was spinning about half speed. After another minute or so I heard a pop like sound and the fan started really humming. Went inside and the cold air was blowing again.

So now I'm preparing for the likelihood I am not out of the woods yet. Thoughts on what happened? Is that normal behavior on such a restart? Maybe a capacitor issue? I did replace the run cap during my last issue here: https://www.doityourself.com/forum/a...t-run-cap.html even though it was the thermostat.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-20, 03:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 938 Votes on 875 Posts
It would appear that you have a problem with the condenser fan.
You just changed the cap so that's not the issue.
Can we assume the unit has been running ok since you changed the cap ?

Does the fan spin free. spinning slowly is usually a bearing problem.

Old 07-30-20, 03:51 PM
Received 24 Votes on 19 Posts
The condenser fan (outside) helps keep the compressor cool as well as cooling the condenser coil. If the fan is running slower than it normally does, your compresor is likely to overheat. You need to get the fan running normally again. It's likely either the capacitor or the fan motor itself. When the outside unit is off, does the fan spin easily? If not, it's an indication that the fan motor is beginning to seize.

Old 07-30-20, 05:31 PM
W
The fan seems to be running full speed since its slow start. Iíve noticed no issue since I replaced the capacitor.

Old 07-31-20, 10:36 AM
W
So it got a lot worse. Not only did that condenser and fan stop but so did the other one (for 2nd floor). Breakers seem OK. Does this make any sense?

Old 07-31-20, 10:44 AM
W
So I didn't know there was a main breaker for the condenser units. I found that tripped. I reset it and went out to the condenser breaker and found the original breaker tripped. I reset that and the main breaker tripped again. Thoughts?

Old 07-31-20, 11:24 AM
W
Assume I found the culprit. The cap I replaced last time was apparently a little loose in the housing and slid down. Looks like the purple wire lead made contact with the metal housing and burned/stuck to it. I can't get it to budge unless seemingly breaking the wire lead. Thoughts?

Old 07-31-20, 11:58 AM
W
Correction. The red wire terminal was stuck. It came loose with several gentle back and forth movements but there seems to be a little "damage". Is it OK to try operation again? I also have the old capacitor that is still good.

Old 07-31-20, 12:20 PM
W
Went ahead and fired it back up and so far all is running well.

Old 07-31-20, 01:09 PM
Received 24 Votes on 19 Posts
If the wire connector was loose enough that the wire came off, be sure to check the wire terminal. If it's loose, it will get hot and possibly burn the end of the wire where it attaches to the terminal. If loose, I would suggest that you pull the terminal off the lug and "crimp" it with a pair of pliers to make sure it's good and tight on the lug.

Old 07-31-20, 01:26 PM
W
I didn't find anything loose. All wires were secure on the terminals just the capacitor slid down.

Old 07-31-20, 08:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 938 Votes on 875 Posts
That new cap is smaller than the other one. You need to make sure it's mounted solidly so it can't move. You're lucky you didn't hurt the compressor with the terminal(s) shorting to ground.

You can use rubber between the cap and the strap.
I also carry and sometimes use galvanized hanger strap material.
Galvanized hanger strap

Old 08-03-20, 04:53 AM
W
Thanks, I ended up compressing the strap with channel locks so it's much more snug now.