Portable air conditioner shutting down before reaching temperature

Old 08-09-20, 08:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Portable air conditioner shutting down before reaching temperature

We purchased a Danby 12,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner and are having issues with it shutting off before it reaches the desired room temperature. We have 12 inches of clearance on the front and sides, and 20 inches of clearance on the back (which is what the manual advices), and we vacuum the filters once a week. We set the temperature to 17 degrees and use the "follow me" feature, removing the remote away from the direct flow of air from the unit in order to get a more realistic temperature for the room (which is 138 square feet).

We have been finding that the air conditioner will shut off before it reaches 17 degrees, and then turns on again shortly after, which is very disruptive of sleep. Is there anything else we can do to avoid the unit shutting off before achieving the desired temperature? Or is there something malfunctioning with the unit?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-20, 09:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 200 Votes on 178 Posts
I suspect it is running properly and is seeing the temperature setpoint and shutting off. Then as the air settles, the air temp it sees rises, and the unit restarts.

17C (62F) is quite low for an A/C and the unit will struggle to keep that temperature so the cycling will be more often. Setting it to a higher temp might reduce how often the unit turns on and off. You could try placing the remote under a blanket or other location to fool the unit of the room temp. Also, check the manual and see if there is a "swing" setting.

The bottom line is I think the unit is running normally.

2drevi voted this post useful.
Old 08-09-20, 10:23 AM
Thank you very much. We will try that. Our portable air conditioner unit does have a swing function and we have been using it to help push the air around.

Would setting up an oscillating fan nearby also help spread the air around? Does it matter where it is positioned?

Old 08-09-20, 11:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,021 Votes on 947 Posts
Unfortunately you purchased a single exhaust portable A/C. They do an excellent job of discharging your chilled air outside. That unit will have more trouble lowering the temperature than a high efficiency two exhaust hose model.

Old 08-09-20, 11:40 AM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Set the target temp higher see if that work, some thermostat only good between 70F and 90F.

Old 08-09-20, 01:22 PM
Group Moderator
Our portable air conditioner unit does have a swing function and we have been using it to help push the air around
By swing, I mean temperature swing, not the thing that moves the air around. A central thermostat typically has a 1-degree swing, That means that the unit will run past the set temperature and won't turn on until it gets 1 degree below the setpoint. Of course, the reverse happens in cooling modes.

2drevi voted this post useful.

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 08-10-20 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-10-20, 04:40 AM
B
Received 81 Votes on 72 Posts
The characteristic of the thermostat being discussed is hysteresis. In a cooling mode, the thermostat would turn on the A/C at the set temperature on a temperature rise. On a temperature fall, the thermostat without hysteresis would turn the A/C off and then right back on at set temperature. This would continue until the ambient temperature fell below the set temperature. On a temperature fall, the thermostat with hysteresis would turn off the A/C below the set temperature. This thermostat would turn on the A/C at the set temperature on a temperature rise.

Old 08-10-20, 08:44 AM
Do portable air conditioners usually have thermostats with hysteresis? Just to help purchasing choices in the future, since I am likely to buy a new one, is that a question I could direct to the manufacturer? It doesn't sound like the thing they would write on the box.

Old 08-10-20, 05:23 PM
Group Moderator
The characteristic of the thermostat being discussed is hysteresis.
It sounds like we are talking about the same thing. I just call it "swing".