New A/C unit?

Old 09-11-20, 03:46 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New A/C unit?

So I hired a guy to install a new a/c unit three weeks ago and it still doesnít work. He replaced a 4 ton Goodman unit that was working since 1995 and just now went out. He said he replaced it with a York 4 ton (outside it say Champion) which comes with two parts. Outside unit and the attic part, but he said for some reason the coils in the attic keep freezing up. He said something is wrong with the TXV which keeps causing it to freeze up. There are no leaks or anything but every time he replace the TXV it still freezes up. So now I been sitting in a 90 degree house bc he decided to order another coil and this time he said itís a Goodman. Please help bc I am at my breaking point and I think he donít know what he is doing. What should I do?

Old 09-11-20, 09:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

What should I do?
Has he been paid in full ?
Some guy or an actual HVAC company ?
There isn't much you can do without going to a different company.

Old 09-12-20, 06:47 AM
Received 88 Votes on 83 Posts
Hi, hire a tech that knows what he is doing, what exactly was changed in the attic unit? could be a blower problem, ie not moving enough air through the coil, dirty filters, are all you supply registers open, usually a frozen coil is due to air flow or a poor charge of refrigerant.
Geo

Old 09-12-20, 07:27 AM
S
Yes he was paid in full. It was working for 2 days but after that itís been down hill

Old 09-12-20, 08:00 AM
Received 17 Votes on 17 Posts
The local building department might be able to help: This kind of work usually requires a permit and inspection, and I'd be quite surprised if he had either. He may not even be licensed!

Old 09-12-20, 08:32 AM
A
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
need pics of indoor unit and txv and model #s of indoor and outdoor units. where is it iceing up at at the txv or coil do you feel air coming out of the registers

Old 09-12-20, 08:38 AM
F
If you thought it was expensive hiring a professional, just wait and see how much it costs to hire an amateur...

Old 09-12-20, 06:43 PM
D
Received 36 Votes on 34 Posts
Hiring HVAC professionals in the USA is a crap shoot. Many are incompetent, profit driven people who fail to properly maintain, diagnose and service HVAC systems. They push new systems and then fail to properly install them, frequently adding other problems.

Shantell Carter tread starter is just another DIY sad tale of professionals. Follow on posts suggest hiring professionals. That fits Einstein's definition of insanity … doing the same thing repeatably and expecting different results.....duh, duh.

Became a DIYer years ago when professionals could not fix simple oil burner issue.

Doing it myself means it was done right! As DIYer save large amounts of money, have reliable, efficient home HVAC system .

My 3 ton central AC system was installed in 1967. In 1994, did DIY install of a new more efficient outside unit. The 1967 attic air handler works nicely.

On hot days here, AC system runs for 8 hours or 1/3 of day. Only maintenance is adding some R-22 refrigerant at $17 pound at start of each season.

Heating oil cost savings are $2,400 per year using original 1957 boiler.

The monthly utility bill shows our home to be in the most efficient category in the area.

Last edited by doughess; 09-12-20 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-12-20, 08:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
Yes.... I agree there are many incompetent technicians out there but there are many good ones too. We need to give this member information that can directly help her.

Last edited by PJmax; 09-13-20 at 12:24 AM.
Old 09-13-20, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 141 Votes on 110 Posts
You never answered as to whom you hired. Not an actual name, but was it a real HVAC company or a jack of all trades? If the later, this will always cost you more money in the end. What kind of help are you asking for? Don't know anything about the subject, but would have to agree with others to hire someone else, altho you may have trouble finding someone else to come out and fix since someone else installed it. My 2cents only. Not in the trade so don't know how they work.
Doughess, since you don't know who they hired, your rant is for nothing. There's always rotten apples in a tree, but there's always more good ones than not. You're lumping a whole group as bad which is not only incorrect, it's ridiculous.

ferd42 voted this post useful.
Old 09-13-20, 09:42 AM
D
Doughess posts to help other DIYers solve problems. Hiring professional did not solve Shantell's problem, only added new ones.

My comments were based on Shantell's data. I use try to use hard data in my posts. My system data is well documented. If someone who “Don't know anything about the subject” labels them “rambling” will leave it to DIY readers to judge.

A possible cause of freezing coil is wrong size nozzle in TXV expansion valve. Size needed can vary from one installation to another with same equipment. Many professionals are “part swappers” who do not understand HVAC basics.

Shantell might ask prospective service people if nozzle size is issue and judge their response. Often the b.. s... artists answers are self evident. The question might also suggest that prospective customer has done some homework maybe lower their b... s... and price.

Last edited by doughess; 09-13-20 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-13-20, 12:12 PM
Received 17 Votes on 17 Posts
D: Are you NATE-certified for refrigerant handling?

Old 09-13-20, 01:10 PM
D
Duh................? eBay seller did not ask.

Old 09-13-20, 01:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 791 Votes on 728 Posts
Just a reminder for everyone participating in this thread:

Direct your comments toward the questions being asked by the op... Not toward each other. Comments that are not helpful or off topic will be deleted.

Keep the comments respectful.

Old 09-14-20, 06:00 PM
S
Don't pay a penny for this new Goodman coil until it has cured the problem and worked satisfactorily for at least a couple of weeks. If the guy insists on being paid up front, tell him to take a hike and get someone else. He sounds like a "parts swapper" and doing it on your dime.

Old 09-15-20, 06:11 PM
L
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
If the installer installed new equipment which he specified and provided I think the poster should expect it to be fixed at no further charge and I, for one, would be willing to go to small claims court against the installer if he insists on further payment--at least from the small amount of info provided, this seems fair.

BTW, I had a Goodman A coil replaced a few years back and the bill came to about $1000.

Old 09-18-20, 05:38 PM
D
Parts swappers when faced with problem do not analyze or diagnose it, rather swap in new parts until problem appears to go away. Often that does not fix problem, just temporarily obscures it.

Part swappers have long been issue in automotive repair. With modern computerized auto system swapping often does not solve problems.

One of the ironies of judging service is customers often lack the knowledge to intelligently gauge their work.

I became a DIYer when professionals failed to solve problem. A DIYer can become more knowledgeable customer and save money in dealing with service types. Then, hopefully when dealing with them will get better results.

Old 09-21-20, 07:53 AM
S
Yes these guys came out. I didnít have to pay any extra for replacing the coil which is still backordered anyways. Luckily the temp here been in the 60s but he had to get another master tech to come out with him to fix the problem with the new unit upstairs

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 09-28-20 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Photoos removed due to business name and phone #'s.
Old 09-28-20, 04:45 AM
L
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Hope all is well with your new AC now. Just for info., how did Sears come into play in your situation?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: