Keeping Air Conditioning Unit off the Ground?

Old 09-13-20, 09:28 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Keeping Air Conditioning Unit off the Ground?

Hi,

I would like to keep my outdoor ac unit off the ground. Don't feel like pouring a slab etc and noticed this plastic looking thing at around 24 seconds in at the below video. What is it called? Is it alright to use?

Too much mulch and junk around my A/C unit and it is starting to get buried and is too hard to keep the fins clean.

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Nm3Dy64_aw

Old 09-13-20, 10:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
Condenser pad. Some are plastic....... Condenser pad
Some can be precast...... Condenser pad

You must be careful when lifting the condenser to not damage the copper refrigeration lines.

jj94auto voted this post useful.
Old 09-14-20, 06:48 AM
J
Thanks, am I watching out for accidentally kinking the lines? If so, what are some especially sensitive places? Where it enters the unit mostly?

Thanks for the warning!!

Old 09-14-20, 06:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
What is your condenser currently sitting on? I don't know that I've ever seen on sitting on anything but concrete or a preformed cement/plastic pad. Some will add 'feet' to the bottom of the unit to get it up a little more.

Old 09-14-20, 08:59 AM
H
Received 137 Votes on 119 Posts
With an existing exterior A/C unit mounted on the ground, if you lift the exterior unit, you have "x inches" of lift before the coolant lines develop microscopic cracks and leak coolant. Nobody can tell you what "X" is for your A/C. ALWAYS budget for re-filling the refrigerant if you consider moving the lines.

1) Lower the ground- Clear out the entire area around the A/C unit, dig down and put down gravel. You should never have "mulch and junk" around an exterior A/C unit, because even the cheap ones cost $1,000 to replace.

2) You can lift the unit yourself, but you have to do it slowly or the strain will crack the coolant lines and cause leaks. Get 2 (4 is better) scissor jacks from a junk yard) and lift 1/2 turn on each side in the morning, 1/2 turn on the other side in the evening. By lifting very slowly, the parts of the line that DO get work hardened (more brittle) do not bend and break, instead those parts of the line that are still soft will bend.

3) There is a FASTER way but you NEED somebody who knows brazing AND is licensed to discharge & recharge the A/C unit. Drain the A/C of coolant. Use a torch to anneal the copper lines to they're bendy. Lift the A/C. Licensed A/C tech checks the lines and recharges the A/C unit.

Old 09-18-20, 09:32 AM
J
It is sitting on a concrete slab already. Not that high though.

Old 09-18-20, 09:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
I'd be leery of raising it more than an inch or so myself. What about creating a barrier between the unit and your flower bed?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: