York YCJD30S41S1A makes clacking noise...cycles on and off every second.

Old 09-13-20, 09:32 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
York YCJD30S41S1A makes clacking noise...cycles on and off every second.

The subject unit runs for a few hours and cools the house but then I go outside and find it clacking away every few seconds. Want to get some ideas before I call the big guns out. I have not found an honest HVAC guy here yet in Virginia. So far they have taken my money and ran given any chance.

I am running new Merv 4 filters so it isn't that.

For the heating I am running a propane furnace. I am not sure how the system ties together.

Thanks.

Old 09-13-20, 10:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
Cycling on and off every few seconds cannot be allowed to continue.
You're lucky the compressor hasn't blown up.

It sounds like you may be low on refrigerant. There is a low pressure switch that will shut down the condenser if the pressure gets low. It will start back up when the pressure rises.

Old 09-14-20, 06:20 AM
Received 88 Votes on 83 Posts
Hi, can you tell what is making the clacking sounds, remove the service panel on the condenser and see if it could possibly be the contactor banging off and on.
Geo

Old 09-18-20, 09:26 AM
J
Thanks for the info. Could you expand on the term "contactor"?

I am not afraid to remove the service panel. I have replaced a Capacitor on another unit before but want to be sure I understand naming conventions before heading in if possible.

Thanks.

Prior to inspection on this house, the inspector said he didn't like the unit sitting at the angle that it was and he asked them to straighten it. I wonder if not raising it slowly as articulated in my other post could have caused a slow freon leak. I was ignorant as to raising a unit slowly making a difference. I can imagine how someone who didn't know or didn't care might behave!!

Old 09-18-20, 03:12 PM
Received 27 Votes on 22 Posts
The contactor is the relay inside the outside unit. You'll see heavy 240V wires from the power input connected to one side of the contactor, while the heavy wires on the other side connect to the compressor and condenser fan. The low voltage from the thermostat is connected to the contactor using light wires (usually on the side of the contactor). When the thermostat calls for cooling, 24VAC from the thermostat is sent to the coil on the contactor causing it to engage, thus sending power to the compressor & fan.

Old 09-18-20, 04:42 PM
Group Moderator
Part #5 is the contactor in your unit.

Old 09-23-20, 01:50 PM
J
Thanks for the responses. I have removed the cover and will await the clacking then come back. The contactor is very visible. I don't like how the contacts look. Reminds me of my old shallow well pump switch. Every few years I would get carbon over the contacts due to slight overdraw I would assume.

Old 09-23-20, 01:53 PM
J
So it is the contactor. What now? Still a low on freon issue exclusively or??

Thanks!

Old 09-23-20, 03:32 PM
Group Moderator
The easiest way for you to check is using a voltmeter set to read 24vAC..... find the two wires coming out of the house. They will splice to the condenser wiring probably with wirenuts. Monitor that voltage on a call for cooling. That voltage should remain constant. If it does and the contactor cycles.... you are probably low on refrigerant.

Old 09-23-20, 04:50 PM
J
Thank you. That is pretty neat advice. I purchased a new contactor as well. Only 10 bucks so really no harm but great angle!

Old 09-26-20, 07:09 PM
J
Here is the latest. I replaced the contactor and it still clacks away after about 20 minutes. Once I heard the clacking, I shut the A/C off and started it up again a few hours later with my Voltmeter handy. What happens now is that something stops providing 24 VAC to the contactor. No more clacking, just no more 24 VAC after a few minutes. I pressed the contactor down for a few seconds and the fan/compressor still work fine.

I wonder if this could be the CP-22 condensate overflow? It seems to be running all the time now. Not sure if it has a condensate overflow switch that may be stopping the outside unit from working. I went down to take a look at it and the word Alarm was on it but it is no longer there.

Any ideas in this case?

Thanks again.

Last edited by jj94auto; 09-26-20 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-26-20, 08:14 PM
Group Moderator
You need to check it where I posted. You want to check it where it joins the condenser...... not at the contactor. You need to determine if it's something inside the unit.... like a pressure switch is opening.... or the problem is inside the house.

Old 10-02-20, 09:28 PM
J
The problem was the CP-22 Condensate overflow drain tube was clogged. Unclogged and I am golden.

Thanks for all of the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: