Is this flare OK? (Mini Split)

Old 09-21-20, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is this flare OK? (Mini Split)

I'm installing a mini-split in my garage, and am making flares for the lines. I have one on the 1/4 line that I'm interested in hearing thoughts on if it's OK. Short video showing it.

YouTube Video

Old 09-21-20, 05:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,343 Votes on 1,241 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It looks like the correct flare type.
When you tighten the fitting..... the copper will somewhat flatten as the flare takes the shape. When that happens the flare can become stuck in the inside the nut. Shouldn't be a problem.

Also.... be very careful making 90's with the copper. It should always be graceful curves.

Old 09-21-20, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input. I was thinking that flare should work fine. I didn't focus in on it, but it has a nice shiny, smooth surface.

On the curvers, I believe they are OK. With that thing mounted on the wall, and the copper needing a 90° turn, I purchased a tubing bender just to do the few bends on my install. As well, I purchased a new flare tool abd reamer that did a really nice job.

BTW...I'm sure it is the correct flare type. But it being large enough that it had to walk the treads down inside the fitting left me wondering if I should re-do it a bit smaller.

Old 09-21-20, 09:20 PM
R
Received 109 Votes on 103 Posts
Looks ok. The nut shouldn’t tighten on the flair itself. It needs to spin free.
Any possible leaks will show up during your nitrogen pressure test.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: