Maytag IHybrid package unit self start

Old 09-26-20, 08:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maytag IHybrid package unit self start

Hello guys happy to see that the forum is still going. I have a Maytag (Nortek) IHybrid package heat pump Model NOR-PDF2SFX60K120CB New in 2017 to replace a 2009 Frigidaire IHybrid that lost the compressor (leaking evap long story) The New in 2017 unit has worked flawlessly until just recently. As the weather has cooled I noticed the blower fan kicking on at random times so after checking I verified that no Tstat was calling and both Tstats fan option is set to auto. The Honeywell zone board fan light does not come on when it kicks on but does when Tstat calls for fan..So I pulled all the Tstat wires off inside the unit and waited and sure enough it started on its on with NO Tstat input. The Combustion air blower AND the Blower Fan both come on and run for about 2.5 mins then cuts back off and comes back on randomly.. No condensor fan/compressor or ignitor activity just the comb and blower fan. I am sure it is a problem internal to the unit since it is isolated from the zone panel completely so i suspect one of the control boards (it has 2) Wiring all looks good, only thing I can think of is if there is some sensor that could be telling the board to kick on the combustion air blower and blower fan. Maybe a delay for heat mode but I am not sure where its data comes from? Anyone had any experience with one of these Ihybrid units and and those symptoms and fixed it? I hate to just start throwing parts a it as the 2 large boards are probably pretty expensive. Note: Warranty is out since they gave me a free new unit its warranty period stopped at the 10 years on the old original one which was bought and installed in 2009...... Also YES we have had some power outages and brownouts here recently so it is probably a damaged control board that is the way that i am leaning but all ears to anyone that has input. THANK YOU

Old 09-26-20, 09:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
The Combustion air blower AND the Blower Fan both come on and run for about 2.5 mins then cuts back off and comes back on randomly.
That is a safety stat line opening. The board thinks the furnace is over heating and is trying to cool it off. You need to check the circuit for a defective switch or a loose fitting.

The loop connects in that 12 pin connector on the control board.

Old 10-05-20, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
OK I wanted to update. After a long wait of watching the unit (hours) I was eventually able to catch it when it was acting up and it had a red blinking light code on the HSI Blower control board. 10 flashes then a pause so that indicates flame sensed and gas valve not calling. Replaced the flame sensor and that fixed the issue..
Note: As a first check I had ran the 2 stage cool and 4 stage heat through each cycle. Everything functioned normally. Most of the time the flame sensor fails in the opposite way and DOES Not sense the flame at all, not randomly tell the board there is a flame when there is not one LOL. Anyway the flame sensor part is approx. 14 bucks so if you guys run into this very strange issue on a hybrid unit you know what to do EVEN if all stages work and the flame sensor does not have a crack or check bad. If the engineers could possibly add some more complexity to these units that would be totally awesome (yeah right)

Old 10-05-20, 03:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
Just FYI..... the flame sensor is just a piece of stainless steel rod. It can be cleaned easily with a green Scotchbrite pad. I consider cleaning the flame rod part of annual servicing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: