Mitsubishi MSZ-HJ25VA oily/ greasy smell

Old 10-01-20, 12:44 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Mitsubishi MSZ-HJ25VA oily/ greasy smell

Hello all.
I purchased a split air conditioner unit last November, (MSZ-HJ25VA) and it started smelling like oil/ grease a couple of months after use.

The first (independent) technician told me that the bear cushing needs to be replaced.
So I ordered it through his company, and after two months of nothing arriving, I realised that the official distributor here already had it. So either they lied to me, or were incompetent (2 months for something already in stock by the official distributor).

Out of curiosity, I asked the distributor of Mitsubishi here to send a technician to check my unit because of the grease smell.
The tech came and said the smell 'is normal' (what I was afraid he'd say) and that I had to just add some carbon filters in my unit. He said that the bear cushing did not need a replacement, because if it did, the unit would be noisy. He also said that it was cheap if I wanted to buy a new cushing, but that I would have to pay for installation and basically told me that I don't need to do it.

What do you think I should do? It doesn't always smell, mostly at night if I have left it running for the whole day. But it's unbearable and I can't breathe properly when it does. No way this is a 'normal smell'.
I've had a crappy italian air conditioner for 10 years prior to this one, and it never smelled like that. It sounded like a machine gun, which is why it had to go, but never did it smell like grease. And I had no carbon filters on it.

Old 10-01-20, 05:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
Welcome to the forums from Greece.

It would be helpful if you put non-US in user bio as this predominately a North American based site.

I don't come across many Mitsubishi split units.
I severely doubt a bearing would make a smell like that.
It appears that you aren't the only one with odor problems. There are many videos on you tube.
It also appears that Mitsubishi is not very helpful fixing the problem.
One example here.... Mitsubishi odor.

Dusk Fall voted this post useful.
Old 10-02-20, 12:52 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you, I didn't know this was a thing with mitsubishi air conditioners.
I have to add that the more expensive mitsubishi aircon I have at work doesn't have this issue. So this is an issue with their cheaper models
I know this is probably a question that comes up a lot but has no real answer; appliances are a hit or miss on an individual basis.
But do you have any brands to recommend that are
1) Quiet
2) Don't smell (lol it's funny that I have this as a prerequisite even)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: