GE window A/C: compressor stays running when off

Old 10-22-20, 10:21 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE window A/C: compressor stays running when off

I have a Ge AHE18DXL1 window unit. Heats and cools. Problem is letís say temp is set at 72. Once the room is at 72 and machine is satisfied the fan will turn off but compressor keeps running. If I press the power button to turn machine off the display board will turn off but the compressor keeps running. I have to unplug the unit at this point or the compressor will ďkeep runningĒ. Iíve looked up online and have found it may be the main board behind the display board. But before I spend any money I wanted to see if there is any way to make sure thatís what my problem is. The unit was already close to 900 dollars and Iíve only had it two years. Kept the filter changed and cleaned the coils with coil cleaner regularly. Any advice I would be forever great full.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-20, 11:06 AM
Received 25 Votes on 25 Posts
The relay that controls the compressor is welded (stuck) closed. This is becoming a very common issue with today's electronically controlled appliances. If you are handy with a soldering iron and can solder on a board you can replace it with a new (hopefully higher Amp rated & quality) relay otherwise a new control board or AC is needed.

Old 10-22-20, 07:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,192 Votes on 1,103 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That's a Haeir unit. The board is WJ29X10053. Unfortunately it's out-of-stock in all the reasonably priced places. I see it in stock for$135-150. Supply and demand.

If you know someone handy..... the relay is replaceable with a soldering iron. In the picture below.... the relay labeled COMP is the relay that's bad. The other two may be the same. If you post the part number on the relay we can help you locate a replacement.

Old 10-26-20, 12:08 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sears parts direct replacement for Ge ac unit

Ok so I found Sears parts direct has a replacement board in stock for 84 bucks. I can use a soldering gun to change the relay if I have to. I havenít pulled the board out yet to get a part number as how I left the thing unplugged for the day and when my husband came home I plugged it in and now the ac works like it hadnít messed up. I think Iím gonna order the part from Sears and when it gets here Iíll post a pic of the board as I take it apart to get the part numbers for the relays so if it happens again after I change the board it may be easier to just change the relay. I want to get all that I can out of this ac for the price I spent even if I have to do some diy work. I will keep yíall updated on the progress when the part gets here.

🙏 thanks everyone