Cover thru wall air conditioners? Best method?

Old 10-26-20, 10:26 AM
K
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Cover thru wall air conditioners? Best method?

We have lived in our house for about 5 years now, and we are looking at ways to keep it more efficient in the winter. And sure enough my thru wall air conditioners feel like wind tunnels in the winter time. Any advice on covering them? Would it help? Or do we insulate it somehow?

I tried looking online and it all seems to be about outside big units for central air. We can't take them out because they are pretty big and would be a huge pain...

Thanks for any tips

Old 10-26-20, 11:08 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 159 Votes on 141 Posts
I use these on the larger window/wall ACs that aren't removed.
https://www.amazon.com/Window-Condit.../dp/B08931H6FT
The big box stores have similar options.

It's not hugely energy efficient, but they at least stop the breeze from coming through. I'd imagine building a custom sealed box out of the pink foam insulation, then covering with a larger version of one of these would add more insulation too, but it's been a project I haven't bothered with.

Old 10-26-20, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 141 Votes on 110 Posts
We did the same thing with our window air. We used to take it out, but it's getting too much for us. So I bought this cover: Frost King Air Conditioner Cover. Comes in a couple sizes. Worked pretty well but had to cut a piece of rope to tie the top cover on.
Also used strips of Bump (from my curtain linings) to stuff any spots still showing. You could use Batting instead, available from Walmart, Joann Fabrics, Hobby Lobby or Michaels.
After covering it up, there's no cold air coming in. Works pretty well.

ETA, this is an inside cover. I guess you could use both.

Old 10-26-20, 11:52 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 750 Votes on 689 Posts
I have made AC covers with rigid foam. I used 1" thick and cut out the pieces with a box cutter knife and used Gorilla Glue and toothpicks so attach them together. The toothpicks are convenient pins to hold it together until the glue dries. I made a shallow open ended box that slides onto the AC covering it completely. I size it so it's a snug fit and it just pushes into place. You can paint it to match the room.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: