Quick Question What is a "Suction-Line Filter Dryer"

Old 11-02-20, 05:27 PM
Received 32 Votes on 31 Posts
Quick Question What is a "Suction-Line Filter Dryer"

I have a friend who had their old working (much to my disappointment) as I said it is way better built then the new garbage made today oh well. Any way the tech left what looks to be a brand new Parker SLD-13-7SV described as a "Suction-Line Filter Dryer" this is not compatible with the new unit as it uses R-410A the old unit was in fact R-22 based though so what purpose does this thing serve in an R-22 AC system?
PS: the link is not my listing but it looks almost identical the one I have still has the plastic caps over the fittings also.

Thanks

Old 11-02-20, 05:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
"Suction-Line Filter Dryer"

When the sealed system is opened for repair..... it can take on small amounts of moisture and foreign debris. The filter will catch the moisture and any debris from getting into the compressor.

Old 11-02-20, 06:35 PM
Are they sealed or can the debris and moisture be removed without replacing the whole thing. Do R-410A systems still use these things? I assume this one can't be used for R-410A because it operates at higher pressures that this may not withstand.
Is this worth anything? He called the tech and he said toss it or keep it basically don't give it back.

Old 11-02-20, 08:23 PM
R
Received 109 Votes on 103 Posts
All refrigerant systems use them.
For suction filters, they are for overly contaminated systems. After cleanup your supposed to return and remove the filter. As being on the suction line, they can rot out and leak.
They can also cause pressure drop and velocity issues if they get clogged up.

Old 11-02-20, 08:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
Any sealed system can use a filter/dryer. You need to match the filter to the system.
That part is replaced.... it's not re-useable.

Old 11-02-20, 09:01 PM
Ah,
My dense head gets it now. I do remember the apartment complex I live at used to have a giant R-22 system that was replaced by Mitsubishi mini-splits (that are utter POS and garbage overly complex CRAP) anyway these was a can shaped thing near the outside condenser unit it used to have blue paint but mostly rust covered when the system was replaced although it did still work fine

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: