A/C unit for the Caribbean

Old 11-23-20, 06:47 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A/C unit for the Caribbean

I need a recommendation for an inverter based A/C only mini split unit for the Caribbean. I don't need or want a heating capability. Due to high electrical costs ($0.38/kWh), I want the most efficient unit possible. Anything in the 9000 to 12000 BTU range is fine. The line set run is about 25 feet. I also need a unit I can buy via the Internet as there are no authorized installers for anything on the island.

Because of year round high humidity, and a 3 month rainy season, I'd like the external unit to have high corrosion resistance. The existing unit that died (Friedrich) lasted 5 years and started blowing the breaker and I suspect circuit board corrosion. The fins on the outdoor unit are showing corrosion and I gently clean it every 3 months with a vacuum, air compressor, water hose and nylon brush.

Old 11-24-20, 12:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,343 Votes on 1,241 Posts
I don't specify equipment but I highly recommend Friedrich products.
They are still quality built units.

Old 11-24-20, 05:43 AM
Received 32 Votes on 31 Posts
Most mini-split units are pure JUNK and the inverter ones are no exception as they use a DC compressor and the inverter boards are very failure prone. Friedrich are the best modern units made today but they cost more but that is worth it in my opinion.

Old 11-25-20, 09:03 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What I'd really like is an outdoor unit that I can take the top off of to hose out the fins from the inside towards the outside. The split units are built so you can't easily clean from the inside out. Pushing dirt between the fins via a garden hose towards the inside just doesn't make much sense. I also want the split interior unit because I'm not running duct work.

I like the inverter units because they provide a more consistent temperature and don't have that constant start stop cycle. The unit I have runs at 2 Amps once the room is cooled down.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: