AC sizing issue

Old 05-08-21, 12:25 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC sizing issue

My builder-grade unit I've been bandaging is 22 years old so I am looking at getting a completely new system soon. I want to make sure I get the sizing right so I looked up the specs on everything. It appears to have been piecemealed together by the builder:

Currently this old Amana has a 4 ton condenser, but a 42000 BTU compressor (3.5 tons). In the attic there is a 1450 CFM blower with a 3.5 ton coil sitting on it. So to me, this sounds like a 3.5 ton system but with a 4 ton condenser coil.

My main concern is removing humidity since I am in notorious Houston TX. I have been in apartments with oversized units and that feels terrible. My current system keeps humidity between 45-55% and I'd like to keep it that way. I'm afraid if I get sold a 4 ton system I'll have more BTUs, more CFMs and more cycling so it won't run long enough to keep the humidity down.

Am I right to think if I go basic single-stage I should replace it with a complete 3.5 ton system and just let it run a bit longer if it has to?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: