A/C refrigerant lines through PVC

Old 06-10-21, 04:00 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A/C refrigerant lines through PVC

I am having replacement A/C and furnace professionally installed. Several contractors have already come by for quotes. None wants to use the original refrigerant line path. The current lines pass through a block wall to an inaccessible crawl space to the exterior block wall then to the A/C unit. The path is about 8 feet long through the crawlspace. I should have asked! I believe they think it's too much work to run the new lines. Could PVC of adequate size be used as a smooth straight channel for the line placement? Is there an inherent prohibition to this or dangerous condition? I really don't want to tell them how to do their jobs or sound like an idiot!

Old 06-10-21, 06:53 AM
T
Received 28 Votes on 22 Posts
Who's going to install the PVC in the "inaccessible" crawl space?

Old 06-10-21, 08:00 AM
T
I will if I have to. It's only 8 feet, Threading the pvc over that distance is not impossible. The question was, is there any reason it was dangerous or somehow prohibited by codes?

Old 06-10-21, 09:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 962 Votes on 883 Posts
Yes, I believe you can run refrigerant lines through PVC pipe. I have my lines running through PVC for part of the run and the inspectors never even commented on it.

If you have to run your pipe through an inaccessible space I've had luck & a little fun using an RC 4x4 truck. I've tied a string or para cord to the vehicle. Then I put it in the difficult space and drive it where I want, pulling the string behind. Then when the vehicle has made it to the other side you can use the string/para cord to pull pipe or wiring.

Old 06-10-21, 10:03 AM
T
Thanks for the reply! It's now gives me some information to suggest to the contractor. I know it would cut into his time schedule to run the PVC. Since this will save him time and materials (shorter lines, no ceiling demolition) he might be convinced to reduce some cost. It could be a win-win. The R/C is an awesome idea, but I don't have access to one and would probably get it permanently stuck in there! Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: