Does Upstairs Unit Need Downstairs Unit, To Cool Effectively?

Old 11-15-21, 10:00 PM
B
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Does Upstairs Unit Need Downstairs Unit, To Cool Effectively?

House is 1700sft 2 storey, 2x2.5ton units.
Downstairs unit is not cooling, just blowing hot air (coils leaked freon) and upstairs unit does not cool during the day but only at night from 10pm when temps cool do you feel a difference. It properly cools from midnight...and it's cold freezing by 3 am.
Called a guy here to either service or quote for a replacement for downstairs unit and check into the said upstairs unit. For the latter he said the issue is both units have to be running for the upstairs to work effectively. Huh? Never heard of that. I can see how that would help but I thought the two units are independent of each other such that you don't need to run cooling for the floor you are not spending time on, should you be staying on the other floor. Again I can perceive how running the downstairs unit will help some the upstairs unit cool more effectively. Am I correct or is he?

Old 11-16-21, 12:00 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,261 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
You have not changed the volume of air in your house but now you are only conditioning half of it. If you could seal those two halves from each other, one system might be enough for one of them but you have air in the lower half being heated and then rising into the upper half, which was something the unit in the upper half was likely not designed to handle.

bambata voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: