Trane Thermostat Batteries

Old 01-26-22, 08:13 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Trane Thermostat Batteries

2014 Trane AC 5 ton system with touch screen lcd thermostat
Reading the manual, the thermostat has a 10 year battery for keeping time in event of a powerout. The thermostat is run by a remote 24 vac transformer. There are also 3 AAA batteries in the stat. The manual says they are for armchair programming of the unit. It says you can remove them or leave them in. I am guessing they provide prower so you can sit and program the stat but are not needed after you plug it in. Does anyone know if I am interpreting this correctly? I just removed the unit from the wall to check the batteries after 7 years, and what a mess.

Old 01-26-22, 11:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,897 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
I'm not aware of a built-in battery and the three AAA batteries.
Do you have a model number ?

Last edited by PJmax; 01-26-22 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-26-22, 11:58 AM
TCONT802AS32DA by Trane circa 2014

Old 01-26-22, 12:57 PM
Group Moderator
I looked thru the TCON install and repair manual. No mention of internal battery. All references are to three AAA batteries. It says the batteries are for remote program but they will actually run the thermostat for a short while. It looks like that thermostat is actually made by Honeywell. When I look up the comparable model it shows the three batteries and an internal 3v lithium coin cell. Ive never seen a coin cell leak.

I saw the review on amazon about the leaking internal battery.
I don't think that review was in the right place.

Old 01-26-22, 01:14 PM
Based on my reading and your info, the coin keeps time for 10 years. I will address that problem in 2024. Sort of like the coin battery on a motherboard. The 3 aaa batteries are there so you can program the unit off the wall. They are not needed for my application that uses 24 vac xfmr. My plan is to remove them and not risk another bad leak. I had a 2008 Lenox system before this one that had a similar stat and no replaceable batteries, so I assumed this Trane did not have any either. Big mistake. Check you thermostat for leaking batteries!

Old 01-26-22, 01:38 PM
Group Moderator
Yes..... you should NOT wait to see "low battery" before changing the batteries.

FYI to the readers......
That does not only apply to thermostats. It applies to a vast array of battery powered devices. I've had batteries leak in my very expensive test equipment. I just had a one year old LED service light ruined by leaking AA batteries.

CircuitBreaker voted this post useful.
Old 01-26-22, 03:43 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,114 Upvotes on 1,893 Posts
A couple years ago I switched to putting lithium batteries in anything important, expensive or difficult to replace. When I add up the cost of flashlights, remotes, thermostats and tools killed by leaking batteries the added expense of lithium isn't so bad. Plus, the batteries last a really long time.

PJmax voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: