How to connect AC indoor fan to universal PCB and capacitor

Old 06-28-22, 07:31 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to connect AC indoor fan to universal PCB and capacitor

Dear expert,

I'm replacing my Sanyo AC PCB board with universal PCB bought from China. I have connected all of the cables and all of them working fine except for the fan. It doesn't turn on. I have check some of the YouTube video how others are doing, it seems it requires separate capacitor to start up the fan which China board doesn't come with. I bought a capacitor with same specs 1.2uf as original one but now I have problem how to wire fan to board via capacitor.

This is the diagram PCB universal board:

This is diagram from PCB universal.

And this is the picture of my indoor fan:

​​​

Would anyone please help me. How the 3 cables from fan should be connected to the board?

Thanks

Last edited by PJmax; 06-28-22 at 12:06 PM. Reason: added enhanced connection diagram
Old 06-28-22, 11:24 AM
B
Received 292 Upvotes on 259 Posts
An induction motor capacitor is selected by the motor manufacturer for developing maximum starting torque at the nameplate operating voltage. Therefore the capacitance value of a replacement capacitor should stay the same. The replacement capacitor operating voltage rating can be the same or higher. Not sure why new PCB manufacturer’s diagram suggests using original capacitor with a different motor since they have no idea which motor is being used . Your current motor is a single speed induction motor using a capacitor operating between 220-240 vac (volts ac). The new PCB has the capability of energizing 1 of 3 different coils (speeds) for the motor shown. Most AC fans run on high so I will proceed on this assumption. With the new PCB board powered and thermostat calling for cool measure vac across terminals labelled N and H, N and M and N and L on the diagram. If voltage is not between 220-240 vac can’t help. If voltage is between between 220-240 vac on 1 or more pair, assuming H,M and L correspond to high, medium and low speed, choose the highest speed for original motor connection. Connect the original motor’s white wire to this terminal. Locate the capacitor. It may be inside or outside the original motor. Connect the brown wire from the original motor going to one side of the capacitor to new PCB terminal labelled N on the diagram. The other side of the capacitor should be connected to original motor’s red wire.

PJmax voted this post useful.
Old 06-28-22, 12:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
A visual aid............

Old 06-29-22, 06:10 AM
K
Thanks both. Really appreciated your time.
I tried to wire according to the instructions. White cable from motor to High speed terminal, Brown to N and capacitor on one side and red to capacitor on another side.
Unfortunately it doesn't turn on the fan.
I'm using separate capacitor which I bought separately. Same specs as original tho 450 vac and 1.2 uf.

Not sure what else I could try.

Old 06-29-22, 06:45 AM
B
Received 292 Upvotes on 259 Posts
What voltage did you measure on the terminal pair before connecting the motor? Was the fan motor operating before changing the PCB? Why did you change capacitor?

Old 06-29-22, 07:50 AM
K

This is my original capacitor stick with old PCB board. 440 vac
​​​ fan was working before. In fact, the fan was not able to stop. That's why I changed the PCB. My bought separate capacitor the spec is 450 vac 1.2uf. it's very close to original one.
those 3 cables next to capacitor are for fan which I cut off.

Old 06-29-22, 01:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Ok.... but you still need to check for 220-240 volts on the N and H terminals.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: