AC unit tripping breaker

Old 07-03-22, 11:41 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AC unit tripping breaker

The blue wire had come out of its connector and welded to the top of the capacitor.

The contactor is stuck in.
A friend of mine said is AC wasn't working and his AC guys couldn't get there for three more days. I told him I would take a look for anything obvious. It trips the breaker immediately. I went to the outside unit and pulled thedl disconnect, took the fan top off and unplugged the compressor. Put the disconnect back and went in and flipped the breaker and it didn't trip it. I went back outside and the fan on top was running. I pulled the disconnect and plugged the compressor back. I took the side panel off to find the blue wire out of its connector and stuck to the top of the capacitor. It was about this time that I noticed that the contactor was stuck in. Regardless,when I got the wire back on the capacitor, it still trips the breaker. What would the diagnosis be from a professional? There were storms the day before this happened. Maybe lightning? A bad compressor? I'm just curious as to what the problem is. Thanks so much in advance.

Old 07-03-22, 12:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

What terminal was the blue wire supposed to be on ?
COM - HERM - FAN ?

Blue may be on the herm terminal .... which is the compressor.
The compressor winding may now be damaged.
We know the contactor needs to be replaced.

Old 07-03-22, 01:41 PM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Hi, if you remove the feed from the contractor, 2 large wires from the disconnect and cap them the breaker should reset, chances are the compressor is toast, but it must be tested to confirm.
also if the thermostat is calling for cooling the contractor would be pulled in , does the contractor look damaged?
Geo🇺🇸

Old 07-04-22, 05:13 AM
C
Hello Pjmax

Thank you! Yes the blue wire was to Herm

Old 07-04-22, 05:18 AM
C
Hello Geochurchi

Yes, the thermostat was still calling for cool. Would the contactor still stay stuck in even without the disconnect in? Thanks so much for replying.

Old 07-04-22, 05:45 AM
Received 77 Upvotes on 68 Posts
Yes, the 24VAC that controls the contactor, comes from the air handler. It is completely separate from the 240VAC that powers the compressor and condenser fan.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: