Addional ? regarding minisplits

Old 07-18-22, 06:02 PM
T
Received 63 Votes on 58 Posts
Addional ? regarding minisplits

Did not want to hijack Shadieladies post so...

Can one add a mini-split to assist a central HVAC? Do to the configuration, I need just little extra cooling on one side of the house. Adding additional ductwork and/or zoning is unattainable. I was thinking of installing 3 zones off a minisplit to do three rooms and leave the central HVAC to do the rest of the house. Running the coolant lines to these three rooms from the location of the condenser would be simplistic, plenty of room up in the attic. The main HVAC will probably be replaced in the near future and I'm guessing I could downsize it at that time as 25% of the floor space would be handled by the minisplit.

I guess my main question is, would it be unusual to have both type systems in the same house?

Old 07-18-22, 07:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,966 Votes on 2,676 Posts
Perfectly acceptable to use min splits to augment the main house system.
Many times the mini split(s) are all that's needed.

Old 07-18-22, 08:21 PM
T
Received 63 Votes on 58 Posts
I'll have a pro install it. I'd do a single DIY but multiples I'm thinking I'd run into trouble.

So looking on some of the sites, I see the smallest air handler unit is 6000 BTU which supposedly is for a a room of about 200 ft^2. All three rooms are less than 150 ft^2 (they get blasted by the sun which is why they are always warmer). I know about short cycling a central HVAC. Would I have the same issue with the individual air handlers? We're in a relatively dry climate. These rooms are typically 4-6 degrees warmer than the rest of the house.

Addl ? Would it be acceptable to use the minisplit as the only climate control in three rooms and size a replacement HVAC for the remaining part of the house?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: