Fujitsu mini split leaking inside

Old 08-07-22, 06:26 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fujitsu mini split leaking inside

We just noticed water damage in the wall beneath our recently installed mini split. It was installed in the center of the wall but directly above a built-in bookcase unit. Could the lack of clearance above and below the unit have caused this? Did the installer make a error in placement.

Last edited by PJmax; 08-07-22 at 08:44 AM. Reason: resized pics
Old 08-07-22, 06:46 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
The air discharge will be directly onto the bookcase so I can't imagine that is good. The installation instructions for all I have seen specify clear areas above and below for best operation. But, if you have a water damaged wall I'd first check for a clogged drain, leaking catch pan or water entering where the coolant lines pass through the wall.

Old 08-07-22, 08:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
That unit draws warm in from the top and discharges out the bottom front so it is being partially blocked. May not be the best location for performance but is not causing a water problem.

The unit needs to be checked for proper leveling and a common problem is the drain line gets pinched in the wall causing the drain pan to overflow.

Old 08-07-22, 11:09 AM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
I can't see your pics so I may be off base but I had water damage on my interior wall shortly after our mini split was installed. The installer came to the house and hooked up a shop vac to the condensate drain line at the discharge point. He said that sometimes during an install the drain gets plugged and it isn't noticed for a while because the drain has to back up all the way to that wall unit.
That was 2 years ago and no problem since.

Old 08-07-22, 02:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Checking the drain is part of the installation process but is very rarely done.

Old 08-07-22, 05:06 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
The Fujitsu units I've installed call for 6" above and I believe 4" below the unit.

I've seen an issue where the drain line is installed a bit too high (due to obstructions in the wall) which causes the condensate to not drain.

As much of a hassle it would be, I would recommend moving it over to the left/right of the bookshelf.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: