Can I remove and cap a branch of duct?

Old 08-11-22, 06:15 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can I remove and cap a branch of duct?

Hello,

A basement remodel would benefit (a lot) from removing one of two branches of duct. Both branches go to the same small room. Picture shown - can I remove and cap the right branch, or will that create too much pressure in the remaining branch?

thanks!

Top Answer

08-11-22, 07:38 PM
PJmax
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Those two ducts are feeding one room above ?
Why are there two in one room ?
You can block one off if you think one supply will be enough in that room.

Old 08-11-22, 07:38 PM
Group Moderator
Those two ducts are feeding one room above ?
Why are there two in one room ?
You can block one off if you think one supply will be enough in that room.

Norm201, Salmo voted this post useful.
Old 08-11-22, 07:59 PM
S
Thanks - yes, both these ducts are feeding the same room above. The room is only about 12.5’ x 13’, and the vents are only about 5’ apart. There are lots of oddities in this old (1925) house, particularly in the basement! I’m not worried about heating/cooling that small space, but I wondered if I’m creating problems by forcing all the air down the one remaining branch that used to split in the two branches. In another forum, I read a message that suggested if you remove a duct you have to replace it somewhere so I am wondering if I’ll create pressure problems in the remaining duct or backup / turbulence problems by removing and capping that right branch.

Removing that duct would make some construction much easier.

thanks again

Old 08-11-22, 08:29 PM
Group Moderator
Hard to tell the size. Are they 4" ?
That will increase the flow to other areas but should not cause an adverse problems.

Your "doing" the basement. Put it down there. Put a register on it to vary the flow.

Old 08-12-22, 11:15 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
Agreed, I don't see any reason removing one of the ducts/vents is a big deal, other than not providing as much heating/cooling to that room.

An older HVAC system like that won't skip a beat with a bit less airflow. If you were closing up a few vents, then that might be more of an issue.

Before you box those vents in, seal the joints better using some foil tape.

Salmo voted this post useful.
Old 08-28-22, 02:56 PM
R
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I am just curious, does the vent fed by the right branch open up in the middle of the room above? Is/was there an exterior wall with a window next to that vent?

Old 08-31-22, 09:15 PM
S
The right branch went to another floor vent against the wall adjacent to the vent for the left branch. Both branches go to floor vents beneath windows. The left branch is the west-facing window, the right branch is the north-facing window. And it’s a small room, so the vents are only about 5’ from each other.

I removed and called the right branch and everything seems ok so far! It’s actually so transformative for the basement that now I’m daydreaming about going altogether ductless! I think this HVAC is overbuilt for this little house, and having the space currently occupied by a giant octopus of ductwork would be amazing.

thanks for all the help here!

Old 09-01-22, 12:43 PM
Group Moderator
You're welcome. Thanks for letting us know how you made out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: