decibel level

Old 09-16-22, 01:56 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
decibel level

I am replacing a very old system, Goodman CK42-1C
I would like to know the decibel level of it, so my new system will be less. I can't find it. I called Goodman, but they don't have it either. Anybody happen to have a place to look this up?
I want my new system to be relatively quiet. The contractor has proposed a RUUD, 76 dba which he says is quiet.

Old 09-16-22, 05:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That's not a specification usually posted.

Old 09-16-22, 05:12 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
If you have a smart phone, there are many apps that let you measure sound level. But the readings are very dependent on your distance from the equipment, and what else is near the equipment that might reflect sound towards you.

In my experience, manufacturers published sound level ratings are helpful for comparing models from a single manufacturer, but less so when comparing different manufacturers because the method used to make the measurement can vary. And if you use an app to take a measurement of your current system, you should consider it only a rough ballpark figure.

On a furnace or air handler, the reading will be highly dependent on fan speed as well. And even on duct arrangement. The good news is, most newer systems with multi or variable speed fans will be quieter that the older single speed systems, at least when running on a slower speed.

Old 09-17-22, 04:41 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
If you don't want to use a smart phone app you can buy a sound meter. They are pretty inexpensive.

Then when looking at the specs for your new unit make sure you read the footnotes to see how far away they took the noise reading. I've seen them spec'd for everything from 6 to 50 feet. So, make sure you measure the noise level of your old machine at the same distance as the specs your looking at.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: