closing vent in one room

Old 12-01-22, 08:11 AM
I
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
closing vent in one room

Our house is 1,500 square feet, 3 bedrooms. The HVAC and ducts have been updated,
"tuned up" (for lack of a better word), etc. My 18 year old son complains his room gets too hot at night when we run the heater. Of course other family members complain they're too cold if the thermostat is set low.

His room is small and it seems to me to feel warmer than other rooms. He keeps the window and door open and the ceiling fan on.

In this situation should the ceiling fan run clockwise or counter clockwise?

Is it okay to close the vent to his room at night, open it during the day?

Old 12-01-22, 10:21 AM
Received 1,058 Upvotes on 960 Posts
They say fan breeze down in summer for cooling effect and up in winter, We never change ours so it's personal preference.

Opening or closing a single vent is not going to hurt anything, we regularly close off multiple vents for heat/cool seasons!

Old 12-01-22, 12:14 PM
I
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thanks, I've read that closing vents "to save energy" makes the system work harder not good for the motor and doesn't save energy. I'm not trying to save energy, just wasn't sure about making the motor work harder part.

Old 12-01-22, 04:50 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Upvotes on 1,140 Posts
It's not about saving energy, it's about balance. I close two vents downstairs in the summer and three upstairs in the winter to keep my temperatures even throughout the house.

As to the fan, it's whatever feels better. Typically, the airflow on the person will be cooling but that depends on the arrangement of the room as much as the direction of the fan.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: