Central AC, Humid/Musty Smell, Apartment

Old 12-01-22, 02:48 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Central AC, Humid/Musty Smell, Apartment

Hey Guys,

Hoping for some assistance here. I just moved into a new apartment and am having a tough time dealing with the Moist, Humid, Water odor coming from the AC unit. At the first the issue appeared to be mold, but that does not seem to be the case.

So far steps taken:

1) Unit has had its inside fins cleaned. twice.
2) Ducts have been cleaned
3) Ozone Machine was brought in.

None of the above has fixed the issue. The problem i have is i cant tell what the cause of the odor is, I tried adding a MERV13 filter to it, but that doesn't do much as the odor is coming out of the AC itself.

The apartment management company has called the AC Contractors to come out and look at the system and they say there are no leaks, and that the odor is not mold.

So what should i look at next? Do i just buy a dehumidifier? Spray the the inside fins down with Odo Ban? I am not sure what the best course of action is moving forward. Or if i am just being overly sensitive?

Thanks,

Robert

Old 12-01-22, 04:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

In order to help we need to know more about the system.
Gas furnace with split A/C ?
Heat pump system ?
Split A/C only ?

Old 12-01-22, 04:17 PM
R
So this is a regular Central AIR system. Not a mini split or anything like that. It uses has an internal set of fins and external compressor.

I live in Central Florida, so i doubt its a heat pump system.

Robert

Old 12-01-22, 04:24 PM
Group Moderator
So there is no heat then ?
The reason I ask is that heat pump evaporator coils have had problems with odors.

So the air handler has been opened and the evaporator coil and the drain pan been inspected ?
A musty smell with a straight A/C only system is usually water remaining in the drain pan or leaking out of drain pan.

Old 12-01-22, 04:35 PM
R
SO there is an option for heat (Cool, Off, Heat) I don't know if its a heat pump. The coils have been inspected, i am told there are no leaks in the system. The drain pan has also been inspected and is draining normally, as well as the exterior tube (outside) is draining as expected.

I am not sure if the Air Handler has been opened ( i am not entirely sure what that does). How does one check and Air Handler? (I cant exactly take the unit apart).

Robert

Old 12-02-22, 10:23 AM
R
Can I use something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/SimpleAir-SC-.../dp/B00YUPCIDI

Its SimpleAir-SC-3200 if so where would I spray that?

Thanks,

Robert

Old 12-02-22, 11:59 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
Most ACs have a condensate drain. It's a 1" PVC (white) pipe that drains from the unit to either a nearby sink or outside.

I had an AC that had the musty/dead animal smell. Turned out it was mildew/mold growing in that condensate pipe and the smell getting sucked back into the unit.

A 1/2 cup of bleach poured down that pipe every couple months helped significantly.

For some reason the HVAC tech didn't check that as they cleaned and inspected the rest of the system.

Old 12-02-22, 05:47 PM
Group Moderator
If the drain pan and the coil has been inspected then the air handler was opened.
It's the metal box where the refrigerant lines and drain line connects.
Can you post a pic or two of it...... How to insert pictures.

Not sure what you'd do with the spray. Spray it into the return ?

Old 12-03-22, 10:00 AM
R
Pj. I will take some pictures and post them, but keep in mind my access to the unit is limited.

Zorfdt. Ok. There is a drain tube that I can pour bleach into. However it has a very small opening, i will try to not "Overpour". I do have one question is there any chance of the bleach fumes themselves being sucked in by the AC Unit? I don't want to inhale it.

Thanks,

Robert

Old 01-01-23, 12:08 PM
H
Post musty smell

this is what worked for me

the condensation drain had a very steep incline to the drain pipe
preventing the AC trap from holding water and blocking the sewage gas
So i corrected the pitch of the condensation line to the recommended 1/4 per foot
after the trap.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: