A shed to cover a thru-the-wall AC unit?

Old 12-24-22, 12:04 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A shed to cover a thru-the-wall AC unit?

Hi everyone.

I have a thru-the-wall AC unit that it's making the living room very drafty in the winter.
So I want to place a small shed on the exterior to cover it permanently, and the idea is that I'll have vents on the shed that I can open in the summer.

I've been googling for hours, including reading manuals, and I couldn't find the answer to this question:

Is it safe to cover it?

Thank you, and Merry Christmas!
Guido.

Old 12-24-22, 04:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 662 Upvotes on 562 Posts
That will not work very well in the summertime when the A/C is running. It will leak water into the shed from the condensation and make the shed excessively hot. I would recommend just getting an A/C cover to keep the winter drafts out. Google "through the wall a/c covers" and you will find many options.

Guidog Gfd voted this post useful.
Old 12-25-22, 09:26 AM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you!

Old 12-25-22, 11:35 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,708 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
If stopping drafts is your goal adding a shed on the outside is a very difficult way to go. A shed has a lot more joints that need to be sealed to stop airflow. There are AC covers you can cover the exterior part of the machine in winter. They sorta work but are difficult to seal against the window/house.

Our hot tub room has a window AC permanently mounted through the wall. In winter I put a cover over the interior part of the AC. The cover is made from rigid foam insulation for warmth and it stops drafts from coming through the AC.

The cover is made from 1" thick rigid foam insulation. Think of the lid for a shoe box except made from foam. I sized it so the inside sides of the cover are slightly smaller than the AC so fit so friction holds it in place. It's simple construction of flat pieces. Just making a open ended box out of flat pieces. When assembling I stuck toothpicks into the foam where pieces would join. Then you can use quality wood glue or foam safe caulk in the joint as a glue and to seal the joint against drafts. The toothpicks hold it together until the glue dries. When done paint with the same color as the trim in the room so it blends in better.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: