The "tell me I can just replace my compressors and you win a prize" thread

Old 01-07-23, 07:18 PM
O
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The "tell me I can just replace my compressors and you win a prize" thread

Hello Builders!

I have a set of condensors outside my home that appear to use the 402a standard, so I'm really hoping I can just replace the compressors inside of them and not have to replace the condensing units or attic furnaces. The compressors seem to use a lot of electricity, are loud and I wouldn't be surprised if they're the ones built with the house in 2006. Anyways, here are some photos, let me know what you think:

The sticker faded! It's one of the larger ones in the photo above.

Old 01-08-23, 11:28 AM
R
Received 178 Upvotes on 164 Posts
Is there an actual problem your trying to solve or just want quieter units?
Those are basic builder grade units. They are loud brand new. New compressors would likely sound exactly the same. Plus put a large dent in your wallet.
Those are not 402A, they are R-410A, which is scheduled to begin being phased out.

Houston204 voted this post useful.
Old 01-07-23, 07:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,342 Upvotes on 3,001 Posts
Not really a game. It's not something I'd recommend or do. I doubt you'd find a service to do it either.
A condenser is compressor, fan and condensing coil in a package.
Everything is designed to work with the evaporator and expansion valve in the air handler inside.

How would you know what compressors are quieter ?
What if you had the compressors changed and it was still too loud ?

Old 01-07-23, 08:33 PM
O
How would you know what compressors are quieter ?
What if you had the compressors changed and it was still too loud ?
That's a good point, and what I wanted to look into is to get the same model or at least specs. Can you use a clamp meter to check the ampere draw and determine if it's needing replacement?

And here's a video that made me think I could replace the compressor. He says to use the same make and model:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1AqTTZFTSg

Old 01-07-23, 08:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 72 Upvotes on 65 Posts
A compressor noise insulating blanket is $80 on Amazon and you can install it yourself.

A compressor installed could be around $2000 each.

You get a 1 year warranty on a compressor but 5 to 10 years on the whole condenser.

Old 01-08-23, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 66 Upvotes on 61 Posts
I'm going to flat out tell you to replace the whole condensing units!
Do I win the prize or does others who just discourage you win it? 😊
Those units would have Scroll compressors in them which are normally loud rather than pison types which are a bit more quiet.
If they are working then you'd be wasting money trying to do anything with them.
Recent and higher SEER rated units would be more quiet depending on model and a better investment that any repairs.
Besides the fact that replacement compressors are not cheap it's a false dream to think you can replace compressors based on a you tube video.
You Tube or not it isn't a DIY job!

Old 01-09-23, 09:40 AM
O
You can't upgrade the compressor? I'd imagine there would be something some way to change the compressor with a more modern / higher-SEER unit, but it doesn't sound right.

I'll look into a sound blanket I guess even though some people have said not to get it.

Old 01-09-23, 11:05 AM
R
Received 178 Upvotes on 164 Posts
SEER isnít a single number given to a single piece of equipment. Itís a number given to the equipment combination. You should have an AHRI match number that tells you what the efficiency and capacity of a combination will be.
What are you calling compressor? The outdoor unit? Thatís actually the condensing unit.
Compressor isnít air cooled. Itís cooled via suction vapor. So a sound blanket has no effect on heat load.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: