A/C drain leak

Old 03-31-23, 05:34 PM
J
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
A/C drain leak

This is the evaporator drain in my attic which is leaking at the gray tape (trap). What's the best way to fix it? Cutting the PVC and coupling in looks tough given the location and connectors between the trap. The T part to the right is an access, probably to blow out the trap before winter? Any help repairing this would be appreciated.

Old 03-31-23, 07:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
That's a preformed trap. It would be very rare to be leaking from that.
It's more likely leaking at the bottom of the tee or the 90 fitting and running down under the trap.

There may be a glue problem at the fittings.
There's no easy way to repair a leak other than redoing the fittings.

Old 04-01-23, 04:58 AM
J
Thanks for the reply pjmax. I did verify that it was leaking from the trap. There is a crack at the bottom where water in there froze. I taped it as a temporary fix. Just doing a little research on p-traps on condensate drains, it seems they are a little controversial. How should they be handled in the winter? Also, would these connections be glued? I see no evidence of primer on the fittings.

Old 04-01-23, 05:33 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
I bet the water in the trap froze, cracking it. First go up there with a block of wood or a hammer. Tap on the fittings to see if they pop apart. It is possible they were not glued (I don't see any sign of glue or primer in your photo). If that's the case then it's a super easy replacement.

If the fittings are glued and won't come apart you can try cutting the trap and see if you have enough straight to install couplings. If not you might need to redo the drain piping in that area, replacing more than just the trap so you can use couplings.

There is also a third option that is not code compliant. You can check your local suppliers for a rubber boot/Fernco coupling. Most stores don't carry them that small but it's worth looking. If not the rubber multi size stepped end of a dishwasher drain hose or a rubber disposal adapter fitting has a size that will fit. You cut off what doesn't fit and just use the portion that fits your pipe. Most fittings come with narrow hose clamps you can use to install the rubber boot coupling. One benefit then is the trap can be easily removed in the future for cleaning or clearing a clog.

Old 04-01-23, 07:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
I would pick up a 3/4" pvc male adapter, a 90, a new running trap, a can of pvc glue, a role of teflon tape, 2 couplings, a piece of 3/4 inch pvc, a pvc pipe cutter, and a stick of pipe insulation.

Pvc is cheap, ceilings are expensive.

Old 04-01-23, 02:02 PM
J
Thanks for the reply Pilot, I wasn't sure if it was common for fittings to not be glued but normally there is evidence of the primer.

Old 04-01-23, 02:05 PM
J
Thanks for the reply Houston, sounds like a good plan. Will insulation keep it from freezing during a new england winter or should I pour antifreeze or something in the T fitting? What would the Teflon tape be for?

Old 04-01-23, 09:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
If a threaded male fitting is used to tie into the drain pan it will leak without teflon tape or pipe dope.

I see this fitting drip sometimes when the installer fails to use teflon tape or pipe dope.
I suspect that a male is just outside of the picture.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: