R22 - Goodman AC -- Contamination

Old 04-07-24, 03:57 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
R22 - Goodman AC -- Contamination

Hi all just trying to understand more about HVAC...so you can pump down all/most R22 back to the compressor but how do you know its nor contaminated??? Say with moisture??

Old 04-08-24, 05:19 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,323 Upvotes on 2,066 Posts
I assume you mean you are using a pump to evacuate the system and not pumping it back to the air conditioner's compressor. You don't know if or how much the gas is contaminated. The gas is filtered & separated before putting it back into that unit or it gets sold to a company that reclaims it by doing a very thorough filtering/cleaning that returns the gas to it original purity (or darn close).

Old 04-08-24, 12:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,152 Upvotes on 3,729 Posts
You can use the compressor of the unit to extract and store charge there.
Cannot be over approx 25' of lineset.
More than 25' means extra refrigerant would have to have been added.
If the compressor has failed.... the refrigeration must be replaced.

If the system is charged.... there won't be moisture in it.
If you intend to return the refrigerant to the lineset.... it must be under vacuum.
Typically a filter/dryer would be installed at this time too.

Old 04-12-24, 07:23 PM
H
So what I'm trying to understand is the system was running last year. Not well...so I pumped all the R22 back to the compressor and closed off the valves. So now that weather is getting better I want to look at my system again.

What I don't understand is if there was moisture in the system wouldn't it all have gone back into the compressor now? So how would I remove it? Do you open both valves and pull vacuum? That's what I'm trying to understand how do you get all moisture out of entire system?

Old 04-13-24, 11:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,152 Upvotes on 3,729 Posts
You need to pump the refrigerant out of the system completely.
Now you can put a suction on the entire system....including the compressor.
If there was a leak in the lines.... you would probably now have moisture in the line.
Refrigerant in the lines would have kept any moisture out.

Old 04-16-24, 07:28 PM
H
So last year I was having strange pressure and house wasnt cooling at all so was just trying to get ahead of understanding it this year. It's been to cold still where I am to put some gauges on it and come back for more assistance

Old 05-29-24, 10:11 AM
H
I was thinking more about this the system R22 was pumped back to the compressor. The question is if the system had a leak could moisture have gotten into the system and is that moisture now in the compressor that it's now all been pumped back to?

Old 05-29-24, 11:28 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,323 Upvotes on 2,066 Posts
Pjmax already mentioned moisture. If the system is pressurized then any leakage would be from the inside out. Moisture can enter the system when the refrigerant has been removed. With no pressure or a vacuum in the system moisture can leak to the inside.

CircuitBreaker voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: