Is it safe the way we're putting in window A/C ?

Old 05-07-24, 01:55 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is it safe the way we're putting in window A/C ?

We've had the A/C unit on the bracket like this last year and we're getting ready to do this again this year. We've noticed that when we push on the window frame there's a bit of give as compared to last year and we're worried that this might not be safe. I've called around for professionals that install window A/Cs but surprisingly there's none that I could find.

You can see in these pictures that the bracket sits within the white frame for the window. I hope someone more experienced can let us know if this is safe. We're just worried that the entire window will rip out of the wall.

Last edited by PJmax; 05-07-24 at 04:53 PM. Reason: added pic from link
Old 05-07-24, 03:15 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,309 Upvotes on 2,054 Posts
Unless you live in the core of a major city like New York you won't find "professional" window AC installers. So, it's not surprising you couldn't find one. Plus, what you'd have to pay to get a pro to install it could equal the cost of the AC.

Is the bracket attached outside? I see the diagonals on the outside but are they fastened to the building or just resting against the house's exterior siding?

Vinyl windows aren't the strongest to begin with but, much has to do with the window's installation. Since you've noticed the window moving more than usual it is possible that something has changed. Maybe the wood frame supporting the window has rotted. Maybe the vinyl around the mounting screws/nails have cracked or broken. Since we aren't there to push and wiggle it's hard to say what could be causing the new movement.

I would start by closely looking at your window's frame for cracks. First, remove the AC's support bracket so it's not blocking your view. Focus on the corners of the frame as well as the bottom track. While your looking push on the window in various areas to learn where it's moving. That can provide a clue as to why it's moving.

Old 05-07-24, 04:25 PM
C
Is the bracket attached outside? I see the diagonals on the outside but are they fastened to the building or just resting against the house's exterior siding?
They are just resting against the house, it's something like this.

​​​​​​​

Old 05-07-24, 04:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,139 Upvotes on 3,717 Posts
I am not a fan of that type bracket.
If the A/C fell.... could it hit someone ?
I like the bracket that fastens the lower mounts to the house where your is just sitting there.
What size A/C do you have ?

Old 05-07-24, 08:11 PM
C
we have this one: https://www.costco.ca/Danby-8,000-BT...t.1551432.html

If the A/C fell.... could it hit someone ?
That was our fear as well, but as we understand the bracket is held together by tension and should be safe?

Old 05-08-24, 04:50 AM
P
Group Moderator
The bracket relies on the bottom track of the window holding everything. If the bottom track of the window fails the bracket and AC are taking a trip... down.

Old 05-08-24, 09:47 AM
C
Ok, that makes sense and I think we're worried about the same thing. We see there's some flex on the window frame when the AC is sitting on the bracket and although I checked and all the other windows in the house have some sort of flex as well it still makes us paranoid since it doesn't look that secure.

Are you recommending that we use a bracket that's similar to this?

Old 05-08-24, 10:06 AM
P
Group Moderator
Something like that certainly would be an improvement. You would screw the brackets to the outside of the home so the weight of the AC is being carried by the house's structure more than the window frame in the current setup. It also greatly reduces the chance of breaking part of the window frame.

The weak part of the window frame are those vertical sides of the trough. If you use the new bracket you linked one thing I recommend is to cut a piece of wood or solid vinyl to fill the groove/trough of the window frame where the AC sits. Make your spacer a bit taller than the sides of the trough so your spacer sticks above the window frame. That way the weight of the AC is on the spacer and not the more fragile vertical sides of the trough/track.

sdodder voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: