Stuck window A/C compressor

Old 05-15-24, 09:46 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stuck window A/C compressor

Small GE window air conditioner, about 5 years old, digital controls, like new because it never works properly. The compressor is obviously sticking; it strains and the house lights go dim. I turn it off before it trips a breaker I was able to free it by wiring it backwards for a moment. It can then work fine, with the wires back where they belong, but it will lock up again after sitting off for a while. I guess there is no fixing it. It didn't cost much.

Old 05-15-24, 09:56 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,236 Upvotes on 1,995 Posts
Compressors are sealed on most units so there nothing you can fix.

Have you checked the compressor's capacitor?

Old 05-15-24, 12:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,059 Upvotes on 3,642 Posts
Those compressors don't run in reverse.
Reversing the wiring doesn't reverse rotation on a single phase compressor.

Have you checked the run capacitor ?
That would be a likely culprit.

You said... then works fine. Did it actually blow cold air ?

Old 05-15-24, 12:51 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Not DC

You're right, it's not DC, reversing the wires shouldn't make it run backwards with AC. I was thinking of stuck fuel pumps on boats, when I used to be a mechanic. We would, sometimes, get a stuck fuel pump to work by momentarily connecting it backwards to get it un stuck. Not knowing anything about air conditioners, I could see that the compressor has it's motor built into it, much like fuel pumps. Clearly, it was binding, causing an overload. Thinking of fuel pumps, I was able to stretch the compressor wires just far enough to reach to connect backwards. I could tell that the compressor was then free and working. I put it all back together right, in the window, and it ran all summer, perfectly. But, that was last year and I might not remember exactly. Anyway, it's going to get hot again (even in New Hampshire) and the compressor is stuck again. The unit was only about $120. Not worth anything now. Too late for warranty. Shame. It looks like new. I think that the compressor just isn't getting enough amps, or something, to break it's inertia. I don't know what to test. It worked fine once it starts. It must be drawing big amps because the house lights go dim while it is straining. I guess the compressor is just no good. No fixing it.

Old 05-15-24, 01:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,059 Upvotes on 3,642 Posts
If the house lights are dimming it sounds like it's on the same circuit.
The further an A/C is from the panel... the higher the starting amperage due to lower voltage.
It could possibly perform better on a 20A circuit.

An A/C compressor has two internal windings.... a start winding and a run winding.
The start winding is what causes the lights to dim.
It can only be active for several seconds or excessive heat is generated and the thermal overload trips.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: