Blower motor indoors not working, compressor and fan outside is

Old 06-07-24, 09:53 PM
A
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Blower motor indoors not working, compressor and fan outside is

Three weeks ago, I had to replace a capacitor in the outdoor unit. I was successful in doing that and the AC has been working great ever since. Today, the AC ceased to work. Interestingly, the outdoor unit was running while the indoor unit was not. I pulled the cover off the indoor unit and confirmed that the blower is not working. The coils were iced over. Presumably this is simply because the outdoor unit was working and the fan was not inside. The indoor unit is a rheem RH2V4821MTANJA, the outdoor unit is a Rheem RPQL Ė 048JEZ.

I assume the blower motor in the air handler has pooped out. When you turn the fan on, you can hear it. Click like itís wanting to turn, but it never does. Is there anything I can check before I call the technician out? The unit is five or six years old.

Last edited by agdodge4x4; 06-07-24 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-08-24, 03:55 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,309 Upvotes on 2,054 Posts
"When you turn the fan on, you can hear it."
I assume that means you hear the air handler fan humming but it won't start. Capacitor?

Old 06-08-24, 06:22 AM
A
It just makes a quick click or noise like itís trying to go but the fan never moves. Itís an ecm motor. No capacitor.

Old 06-08-24, 08:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,139 Upvotes on 3,717 Posts
I believe your Rheem air handler has a 10 year parts warranty.
The motor runs $450 plus. You'll pay labor to install.

Old 06-08-24, 11:30 AM
A
It was running this morning. I donít know what happened. The tech couldnít find anything wrong inside.

Maybe my filters were a little too dirty and the unit froze up and then with no air flow the even shut down. I donít know.

Old 06-08-24, 12:37 PM
Group Moderator
Very important to keep the filter(s) clean.
Not only do dirty filters block air to the coil.... the motor runs hot and ECM's don't like that.

Old 06-22-24, 06:51 PM
A
Rheem blower shuts off, compressor doesnít

AC guys canít figure it out. ECM VS air handler. EVM compressor fan outside.

Basically at some point during the day, the air handler stops running, and the compressor does not. As such, the whole thing freezes up on the inside unit, and obviously thereís no airflow. The compressor will run for hours and hours like this until I catch it and manually turn it off. The last time this happened, there indoor fan when it does this canít be started manually and it wonít start if you shut everything down. If you turn the AC back on, the compressor will come on without the fan and it will run until you turn it off. I called the AC guy, and by the time he came out the next day, the whole system started up and ran fine. They were unable to duplicate the problem or diagnose it. Have any of you guys heard of anything like this? Is there anything I can do to point them in the right direction? it happens every two weeks so far, and they canít figure it out.

in its current condition, the fan does make a bumping noise like itís trying to start. It does this every 10-30 seconds. Never starts though. Itís a ďtungĒ type of noise and the fan kind of blips but it doesnít come on.

Last edited by agdodge4x4; 06-22-24 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-23-24, 08:08 AM
A

Nothing inside this thing looks like a problem but the red circles part is stupid hot. Itís been turned off all night but power still on and that part is so hot you canít touch it.

Old 06-23-24, 08:17 AM
A
Forgot I put a thread out already. The unit is doing the same thing again. The filters are all clean and brand new. The Air handler blower simply won't start.it tries, but it won't go. I was hoping it was a loose fan wire or something simple but there is nothing in the box with the board that has anything like that. All plugs. The pigtail with the wire nuts is good and no loose wires there. I don't know how to diagnose now, if the fan isn't running, I can't take measurements. How do i know if this is a fan problem or a control board problem?

There is a red LED on the board, but it is not illuminated. It's not flashing. So much for diagnostics?

Board is: 48e21-101-01

Last edited by agdodge4x4; 06-23-24 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-23-24, 02:41 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
That’s the control transformer. They can be hot to the touch and be operating normal. What’s the ambient temp where it sits? That has an effect.
anyway, you have an intermittent problem with your ECM motor and or control board. But you knew that. It can be tough to track down. Your service man will have to dig in.

Old 06-23-24, 05:26 PM
Group Moderator
I combined the threads but am having a hard time understanding your problem. You are saying the condenser is not shutting off but the air handler is. Is that because of an air handler problem ??

ECM VS air handler. EVM compressor fan outside.
There are two distinct parts to the system.... the outside condenser and the inside air handler.

Are you saying the inside air handler shuts off but the outside condenser..... fan and compressor.... keeps on running ?

That could mean a defective thermostat or possible sticking contactor.
Typically a meter would be used to check for the presence of 24v to the condenser.
You could shut the air handler power off while leaving the condenser powered and see if the condenser shuts down now. If it does... the problem is most likely the t'stat. If it doesn't.... the contactor is sticking.

If you are having a problem with an ECM blower motor.... you will need to get help.
There isn't much you can do with one of them.

Last edited by PJmax; 06-23-24 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-24-24, 07:15 AM
A
PJ, yes, summarized.....

The entire system was running fine, at some point the air handler blower shut off, the outside fan and compressor did not. This iced up the indoor coil. When you turn the system on, the outdoor compressor and fan come on, the air handler does not, thus, no cooling inside. I have checked all my wires. The indoor blower will not come on in 'fan on' mode or when the AC calls for it. It did this a few weeks ago, but after sitting overnight, it started working again. The tech couldn't figure it out because, well, it was working. Now it won't come on at all. I assume this is either blower or control board now.

Last edited by agdodge4x4; 06-24-24 at 07:30 AM.
Old 06-24-24, 03:11 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Link to a used motor on ebay. Check your motor for the model no. , but thatís what I came up with based on the model no. In the original post. New motor is 900 bucks or more.
link to control board also.
eBay motor
eBay control board

Old 06-24-24, 08:16 PM
A
ECM motor dead. It's still under warranty. I like my AC company, but man the labor for that is, well, as much as the motor if the pricing listed here is right. I wish I could know if that's expensive, it seems like it is. But, I'm also a contractor (not HVAC) so I am totally used to customers telling "that's too high"....

Old 06-26-24, 11:48 AM
A
Iím still waiting on parts to show up for this unit to get it fixed. However, the motor started working sometime over the last 24 hours. How is this possible? Is my ECM motor bad or not? The technician put some kind of device that plugged into it directly and tested it and said that that. But I donít understand how the ECM motor can work sometimes and then stop working for two days.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: