stick to reach and open/close ceiling registers?

Old 06-14-24, 10:01 AM
C
Received 30 Upvotes on 28 Posts
stick to reach and open/close ceiling registers?

I try to close ceiling registers in rooms we don't need cooled at certain times of day. For example, don't need anything but the upstairs bedrooms cooled at night, so I'll close the registers downstairs. But it's a hassle to move around a stepstool all the time. Wondering if anyone makes a product to easily reach and open/close ceiling registers? I suppose I could fashion something myself, but I'm guessing a commercial product would be so cheap, it's not worth the effort to DIY.

Top Answer

06-16-24, 10:36 AM
rndiy
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Quote: if I fully closed off the duct supplying the first floor, I'd be closing off supply to 5 of the 8 registers. That might increase resistance in the duct and shorten the life of the air handler?

I did something very similar and my ECM variable speed motor failed. ECM variable speeds draw more and more amps to overcome static pressure and maintain constant CFM.

Old 06-14-24, 10:09 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,309 Upvotes on 2,054 Posts
We didn't buy a special tool. Instead we use anything with a long handle like a broom, duster or mop. Just turn it around and you've got your long stick. It also is useful for pushing the mute button on smoke detectors.

Old 06-14-24, 02:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,139 Upvotes on 3,717 Posts
Where is the system.... in the attic ?
You may be able to put a damper in the line feeding the first floor.

cartman voted this post useful.
Old 06-15-24, 06:55 AM
C
Received 30 Upvotes on 28 Posts
Where is the system.... in the attic ?
You may be able to put a damper in the line feeding the first floor.
Yes, it's in the attic.
Interesting. Do they make dampers that can be controlled by a mobile app, or does it have to be wired into the thermostat?

Can dampers be adjusted to varying levels rather than just fully open or fully closed? Asking because if I fully closed off the duct supplying the first floor, I'd be closing off supply to 5 of the 8 registers. That might increase resistance in the duct and shorten the life of the air handler?

Old 06-15-24, 08:28 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,309 Upvotes on 2,054 Posts
Can dampers be adjusted to varying levels rather than just fully open or fully closed?
Yes.

cartman voted this post useful.
Old 06-16-24, 10:36 AM
R
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Quote: if I fully closed off the duct supplying the first floor, I'd be closing off supply to 5 of the 8 registers. That might increase resistance in the duct and shorten the life of the air handler?

I did something very similar and my ECM variable speed motor failed. ECM variable speeds draw more and more amps to overcome static pressure and maintain constant CFM.

cartman, CircuitBreaker voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: